Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Netcees - Leagues & Tournaments > The Battle Arena > Battle Arena Archives

User Tag List
big baby, oats, Split

Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute
Default [10-Line Topical] dead man vs. Certain [dead man WINS]

The topic is "If You See Me Again," and 10 lines broken traditionally will be due Friday, July 25.

Good luck, @dead man.

Certain's links:

http://netcees.co/showthread.php?t=83022
http://netcees.co/showthread.php?t=83020

dead man's links:

http://netcees.co/showthread.php?t=49829
http://netcees.co/showthread.php?t=83021
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

if you see me again, i'm a --

could there ever be a perfect goodbye? it seems not -
nobody truly hopes to leave their burdens behind
funnel clouds at harbor threatening a turbulent ride
farewell, my friend. my serpent, my swine. blurring the lines
between purpose and sign. epiphany and trick of the mind
that momentary nicotine high, it calls me softly
oil-black and costly. wheeze whistling notes
piercing chalk-washed arteries addicted to smoke
let the symptoms diagnose themselves. all doctor approved
coughing up mucus. cold-turkey pack of Marlboro blues.

dead man
Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you see me again ...

The air becomes Spanish profanity. A knife's produced.
It shimmers for one hopeless second, slicing through
as the white consumes the table, unleashed, while the staring match
enables a peace, the slightest truce amid careless acts.
One wave of the heat. One chamber release.
Ruckus ensues. Ducking, I move from range of the AR-15,
lying, splayed in between the sofa and wall.
Then, surveying the scene, holding them off,
the enemy enters the frame of my scope, sentenced to die.
But while aiming the blow, I catch a glimpse of his eyes.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #4
Pent uP
Robin Williams of Fallen Victims

Battle Record: 25-11

Accomplishments
- NC Hall of Fame

Champed
- Netcees Writers League (2x)
- NWL Season 1
- Write Night I
- Write Week IV

Pent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant future

Blacketh -- Dope for a 10 liner. Nice twist on the subject. I lol'd when i read that serpent line...i felt like it was a subliminal shot at certain (u know cuz his name used to be certain serpent). I mean obviously for such a short verse it was really straight forward, but you allowed some depth in your language and wording. Very strong (short) verse.

Certain -- I really like "moment in time" pieces and this was strong. The rhyme scheme carried me like a rocking ship, which had its up and its downs (see what i did there?). I thought, for the topic, the directional choice was a bit poor partially because there was less space to build upon it, but mostly because it was such an easy path.

Overall -- I felt that Black came with something more relatable (que the veterans) and that beyond that are of critique both put a strong verse in that could swing it either way. Cheers guys.

Last edited by Pent uP; 07-25-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
jilti
neckties

Battle Record: 43-19

Champed
- BA Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

jilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant futurejilti has a brilliant future

Dead Man..

could there ever be a perfect goodbye? it seems not -
nobody truly hopes to leave their burdens behind
funnel clouds at harbor threatening a turbulent ride
farewell, my friend. my serpent, my swine. blurring the lines
between purpose and sign. epiphany and trick of the mind
that momentary nicotine high, it calls me softly
oil-black and costly. wheeze whistling notes
piercing chalk-washed arteries addicted to smoke
let the symptoms diagnose themselves. all doctor approved
coughing up mucus. cold-turkey pack of Marlboro blues.

Whole verse was dope

Certain..

The air becomes Spanish profanity. A knife's produced.
It shimmers for one hopeless second, slicing through
as the white consumes the table, unleashed, while the staring match
enables a peace, the slightest truce amid careless acts.
One wave of the heat. One chamber release.
Ruckus ensues. Ducking, I move from range of the AR-15

Verse was dope to this point. Ending rhymes and concept lacked something impactful

Vote- Dead
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

This is hard to vote on

U guys went in complete opposite directions. .....i feeo like certain almost did it on purpose. If im him an i seen black dropped something based solely on seemingly personal experience and relatability then it makes sense to go opposite spectrum an write something fictional and action oriented. Or none of thats tru an sometimes i think about things in a weird way. Regardless i enjoyed certains story more then the melancholy narative of black quitting cigs for the 19th time. Blacks schemes were crisper....but not by much. He was more subtle and refined but i was diggin the more raw approach by certain here.

V certain
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
Zen
Arm the Homeless

Battle Record: 22-24

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Zen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant future

I gotta be honest, going into this I thought ten lines would be make both verses suck since there wouldn't be enough room for content, but I was wrong. These ten liners were better than most of the verses in the AOWL last season. True story.

Both of you were better in one aspect. Black had the better rhymes, and Certain had the better concept. Black's verse flowed effortlessly, while I wondered what was going to happen next in Certain's verse. The vote all boils down to which one of these things a reader prefers, rhymes or content. I like the rhymes the most, so black gets my vote. Cool stuff, brahs. A 10 line league doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
ribbit
The deputy of nc

Battle Record: 1-10

ribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant futureribbit has a brilliant future

Both of jhese were alright i felt like blacks was easier to read and the ciggy topib was cool duckin something a lot of ppl could relate to as for ceqtahn i felt like a lot of the story warnt expkained as if it was up to the reader to decide wat happened besides a few minor grammaticle errors i actually enjoxed urs more because i hate my nicotine addiction

vote certain
Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

Close battle. I liked both concepts. Certains seemed a bit stretched, but more movie-like. If it were to be a movie it'd be Tarantino or Scorcese. If deadmans was a movie it'd be Muccino or Ayoade. Deadman showed a bit more connectivity on my behalf after about 5 reads for each. And that's what I was looking for. Seemed certain needed 15 lines.
If mentioned in a discussion its who'd still use wordy lines and act all dope
Then again hes had this schtick so long he like bb da bb da bb thats all folks
Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Sho Money EMG

Battle Record: 7-12

Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG Sho Money EMG
Send a message via AIM to Sho Money EMG

Black had a solid verse. Love Te vocab, multis were great. Awesome flow. Solid as usual.

Certains verse was okay. Hard finding to flow. Structure was good. Not as deep and polished as dead man tho.

Pretty clear to me

Vote - dead man
This site is whack
Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #11
Paradigm

Battle Record: 4-4

Champed
- The Ultimate Textcee
- NBL Cypher

Paradigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant futureParadigm has a brilliant future

dead man wins 5-2.

dead man: (0) +5W+2Links=7pts
Certain: (0) -3L+2Links+4OR=3pts