Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #101
Malachi
Negus

Battle Record: 5-10

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Malachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Malachi

@uh-oh i just could not find the perfect loop for that shit but yea workin on it

what if the chop ois to big and it cut its self before done?

like i got one like guitar part and it still seems longer than 1 bar

Last edited by Malachi; 06-16-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #102
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

word i'll chop it up and try and do a vid this weekend

when listening to it, count it out. don't pay attention to individual instruments, as much as just the music as a whole
Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #103
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Malachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant future

@uh-oh

ight, i should been watchin more vids idk
would the fruity slicer help

but word the best loop i can get is at the beggining where it starts wit the big strung of the guitar
Old 06-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #104
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

WHY CANT I FIND IT

this shit makin me mad ugh

like @uh-oh do u start your chop at the beggining at the big hit?

i tried there but it feels like wit that it messes up the loop

Last edited by Malachi; 06-27-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #105
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

my bad yo

been meaning to get back at this

look at where i set the markers at in that. thats a different program, but thats that same sample.

those are 11, even in size, 1 bar chops.

basically if you take those chops i designated, you can time stretch them to 1 bar each, meaning whatever tempo you lock in, they will play to that speed, across the stepsequencer. this thing

that is the step sequencer^. i have the first chop on there, and if you notice i got the first box(step) highlighted/filled in. when i hit play it immediately triggers that chop, and it will play for the whole duration of the loop, until it comes back around.

now unless you find the perfect tempo for it to loop back around naturally, you will want to time stretch. you can get by not doing it, but since you are chopping to the measures and beats in the source music, it will never be perfect. a real drummer doesnt have perfect computer timing. so 1 bar chops from the same song will be different lengths. not majorly different, but enough so that without timestretching, one bar might end a split second short causing a gap between chops, or the opposite, they can overlap.

so basically to time stretch that chop i have in the step sequencer above, bring up this screen by simply clicking the sound thing. the name or whatever.

1. this is the pitch knob. i'll get into this later lol.

2. THIS IS THE TIMESTRETCH KNOB. this is your best friend. now, the best way to use this, is to use the PRESETS. for this 1 bar chop, we know it is 1 bar in length. so instead of manually twisting the knob, you can just right-click it. this brings up a little menu, with varying chop lengths(1 beat, 2 beat, 1 bar, 2 bars, 3 bars, 4 bars. we want this to be 1 bar, so click that.

3. this determines what kind of time stretching we're doing. clicking it brings up another little dropdown/menu with a few options. 100 percent of the time you will want to use tonal. tonal means that it will sound like the original source, no matter what tempo its played at.

thats where #1 pitching comes in. if you want your chop to play faster than it originally sounds, if you use tonal and time stretch it, its gonna sound weird. the same as if you play it slower. if you leave #3 at resample, it does it for you, but it wont make them all sound the same, because like i mentioned before not all chops will ever be the exact same length. so if you don't pitch the chops yourself, they won't sound right.

so to recap, right click the time knob, choose 1 bar. click the resample menu and change it to TONAL.

then you do pitching. if you are making it faster, try pitching the sample up. turning the pitch knob to make it higher pitched. if you are making it slower, pitch the sample down, this will slow it down and make it lower pitched. pitching helps maintain the quality of the sample while its being time stretched to fit any tempo

now with the chop fitted and formatted to play and loop perfectly in the step sequencer, you can put your drums to it. here is the simple pattern. as you should know (or learn if you dont its all good) 1 bar, is 4 beats. meaning if you counted your headnods while listening to it, after the 4th nod, it loops back and starts over. 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4.

so here is a kick and snare pattern

BASIC

the kick starts off at the 1 beat. which is the drop, right when it starts/first box(step). that is ALWAYS gonna be there. no matter what the beat starts when the kick, KICKS in.

next the only other main CONSTANT in hip hop and most 4/4 music. the SNARE PLACEMENT. always on the 2 and 4. if you want it to get active, thats fine, as long as there is a snare on the 2 and 4. you only dont put one there when you're dropping it out.
when you get more advanced with your drum programming you will understand where to put it

i can make any beat you ever heards drums in that 1 bar step sequencer. i guarantee there is a kick on the 1, and snares on the 2 and 4. its just like a universal music law that makes humans nod there heads

what you do in between that is what makes it different.

you can bring in the hihats too you can do drumrolls with toms like dipset beats and all that too. its possible just by filling in boxes and patterns in that stepsequeuncer

but word, just when you are sampling, count your head nods in your head. know these basic principles

1 beat. 1 nod. basically just the first nod of your head. nothing else.
2 beats. 2 nods.
1 bar = 4 beats/nods
2 bars = 8 beats/nods
4 bars = 16 beats/nods

FL studio can timestretch any of those

so when you are chopping, think about the length of the chop, where to start it, and where to finish it
Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #106
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

@ uh-oh, how do u know where to put those markers? what they do

oh while countin okok
il try that now

the markers indicate where i have to chop?

lol i put the whole tihng in there

i think my timing wit it is shit. i put all the markers tere but i think the first marker is wrong
im not spose to hear the little like the guitar thing at the end of marker 1?

Last edited by Malachi; 06-28-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #107
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

yea i just put the markers there so you can see how the music is structured

those are 11, 1 bar segments

the end of bar one has a couple guitar sounds before it loops back around.

i shouldve probably sent you a sample with drums in it, those are much easier to understand where to start and finish chops, but it sounded like drums were confusing you so i sent one without it.

i made this last night while i was taking those pics

http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/86158557/file.html

if you listen to that, when the beat drops, i have the first chop play 3 times, and then the 4th bar is the second chop as a change up

thats as simple as it gets really. you can hear the guitar kick in before it loops back around, you probably chopped right
Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #108
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
yea i just put the markers there so you can see how the music is structured

those are 11, 1 bar segments

the end of bar one has a couple guitar sounds before it loops back around.

i shouldve probably sent you a sample with drums in it, those are much easier to understand where to start and finish chops, but it sounded like drums were confusing you so i sent one without it.

i made this last night while i was taking those pics

http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/86158557/file.html

if you listen to that, when the beat drops, i have the first chop play 3 times, and then the 4th bar is the second chop as a change up

thats as simple as it gets really. you can hear the guitar kick in before it loops back around, you probably chopped right
lol idk

peep @uh-oh

https://soundcloud.com/prophetmt/22-beat

i think when i tried to switch it up they were to different so it sounded awkward like mismatched

are my drums okay?

Last edited by Malachi; 06-30-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #109
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

yea theyre cool man, there you go

now you got the basics down

now you basically just gotta dig and find stuff you want to sample

remember to count when chopping so you can time stretch correctly and fit drums to it etc
Old 07-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #110
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Quote:
yea theyre cool man, there you go

now you got the basics down

now you basically just gotta dig and find stuff you want to sample

remember to count when chopping so you can time stretch correctly and fit drums to it etc
dig where tho lol
and what bout that chop single hits and arrange wit drums

il work on that spell on you sample

yo when i count is it like by a second or do i fit the tempo
this sample playin got me messin up my timing lol

idk if ima try n remake kick in the door or

and yo @uh-oh since you done been beatmaking a while

u should give me something diff to do each lesson like an objec i have to complete or sometin like flip a sample this wayy or mix these wit these drums or sum or how long to make it. diff patterns.

ion wanna slack nahmean

cause idk what else im doin after this, cant be the same technique right.

Last edited by Malachi; 07-01-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #111
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

word man

i was thinking about that after this last post

im in a rush to drink some coffee and go to work but im gonna brainstorm some shit and give you the fundamentals

for now

when you count, you are counting the beats in the sample.

which is basically your head nods. nod along to the music you are sampling. if you nod 4 times, thats a 1 bar chop.

but yea i'll try and think of something

don't overdo it. right now you know HOW, whether you can put it into practice is a different matter, but you know how to timestretch stuff, you know how to put drums over it.

now what happens when you sample something with drums is a different matter, but its all the same

but word i gotta go i got you tho
Old 07-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #112
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Quote:
word man

i was thinking about that after this last post

im in a rush to drink some coffee and go to work but im gonna brainstorm some shit and give you the fundamentals

for now

when you count, you are counting the beats in the sample.

which is basically your head nods. nod along to the music you are sampling. if you nod 4 times, thats a 1 bar chop.

but yea i'll try and think of something

don't overdo it. right now you know HOW, whether you can put it into practice is a different matter, but you know how to timestretch stuff, you know how to put drums over it.

now what happens when you sample something with drums is a different matter, but its all the same

but word i gotta go i got you tho
word..
thanks for explainin that nod thing lol

the pitch thing seems to be a problem like bein able to match it

edit:
yo i found a good chop for this spell on you sample i feel like

but i cant find another good chop, but i want to add somethin to it tho

so i should go resample or whatever the song.

Last edited by Malachi; 07-02-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 AM   #113
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

@uh-oh

what does it mean if i put tonal and it still sounds really sped up
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #114
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

a couple things could be doing it

1. the tempo of the beat/project. Fl studio's default tempo is 140 beats per minute. bpm. fl studio was originally intended for like techno/electric type music, most forms of music dont get that quick, so if you sample a soul song, chances are its original tempo might be like half that. 70 bpm. so really unless you match the tempo of the project it will always sound somewhat sped up, i try and at least bring it in the 80's range. quintessential hip hop is around 93 bpm.

2. you might have chopped wrong. you might think you have a 1 bar chop, but in reality it might be 1 and a half, or 1 bar and 1 beat. it might be a little longer than you thought, so when you time stretch it to 1 bar, you are condensing more than 1 bar of music to play as if it is 1 bar, this will speed it up. the best way to find out if you chopped too much/have a little extra is to put drums out over it and see if they line up right and it sounds like it should.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #115
El Muffin
DOHpe since 02'

Battle Record: 43-24

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- 1-2 Punch Onslaught
- 1-2 Punch League
- Hot or Thot Roast
- Hot or Thot 2018
- Fight Night 11
- NPL Roast

El Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant future

This shit sounds complicated as fuck
Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #116
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

of course it is lol

any form of making music is gonna be complicated

you are learning an instrument. in this case that instrument is FL studio

this is just the beginning tho. he's getting it, it takes awhile.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #117
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Quote:
a couple things could be doing it

1. the tempo of the beat/project. Fl studio's default tempo is 140 beats per minute. bpm. fl studio was originally intended for like techno/electric type music, most forms of music dont get that quick, so if you sample a soul song, chances are its original tempo might be like half that. 70 bpm. so really unless you match the tempo of the project it will always sound somewhat sped up, i try and at least bring it in the 80's range. quintessential hip hop is around 93 bpm.

2. you might have chopped wrong. you might think you have a 1 bar chop, but in reality it might be 1 and a half, or 1 bar and 1 beat. it might be a little longer than you thought, so when you time stretch it to 1 bar, you are condensing more than 1 bar of music to play as if it is 1 bar, this will speed it up. the best way to find out if you chopped too much/have a little extra is to put drums out over it and see if they line up right and it sounds like it should.
this shit will be my downfall

u said the beat count in the sample is how much i nod my head

i cant nod my head to this shiitt ahh

icant even lie im not usin the markers but the song long asl and im not to put 22 markers on that bitc tryna keep count lol

Last edited by Malachi; 07-04-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 AM   #118
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

i might just start this shit entirely over.
@uh-oh

2nd part seems most different speed.
doin to much maybeee

https://soundcloud.com/prophetmt/spells
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #119
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

yo you should get away from that biggie beat lol

that second part was slick tho

but yea man, shit

whosampled.com

thats a site^ where you can search songs and artists to see what samples were used to make the beats, you can use that as a resource to practice re-making beats and seeing how producers approached the samples.

now when you want to find stuff to sample, you have to dig. you got the entire internet at your disposal. here is a good blog for soul music

http://www.funkmysoul.gr/

when digging soul music, there are some key things i look for.

1. the year. 1965-1973 is my favorite time period. the way the records were recorded, the equipment they were recorded on, and all of that was perfect in that time period for hip hop. its dirty. its warm. its BIG. drums SLAP. horns sound good etc. now, thats not to say something from 1977 isnt good etc. its just preferences. around 75 and later, disco was getting HUGE and alot of soul artists tried there hand at it. disco is uptempo happy dance music. basically its terrible. so thats why i tend to stay in the early 70's. good soul music was made even into the 80's, its just harder to find. 9 out of 10 are gonna sound like disco.

also drum machines and synthesizers and stuff like that started becoming big, which 99 percent of the time is terrible for hip hop. you don't want to sample something that already sounds like a beat. you want to sample something that sounds like a BAND.

thats a good start there resource wise

blogs are your best friend. google soul blogs, jazz blogs, etc. people put up old records for download and thats how you can get alot of sample matierial

you can probably even find blogs that specialise in putting up sample worthy music. i stay away from those because its all been touched so much i dont even bother, but you being new its good to get your hands on GOOD samples, because its easy to get discouraged if you download 10 albums and don't make a beat from anything off any of them lol
Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #120
Malachi
Negus

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Quote:
yo you should get away from that biggie beat lol

that second part was slick tho

but yea man, shit

whosampled.com

thats a site^ where you can search songs and artists to see what samples were used to make the beats, you can use that as a resource to practice re-making beats and seeing how producers approached the samples.

now when you want to find stuff to sample, you have to dig. you got the entire internet at your disposal. here is a good blog for soul music

http://www.funkmysoul.gr/

when digging soul music, there are some key things i look for.

1. the year. 1965-1973 is my favorite time period. the way the records were recorded, the equipment they were recorded on, and all of that was perfect in that time period for hip hop. its dirty. its warm. its BIG. drums SLAP. horns sound good etc. now, thats not to say something from 1977 isnt good etc. its just preferences. around 75 and later, disco was getting HUGE and alot of soul artists tried there hand at it. disco is uptempo happy dance music. basically its terrible. so thats why i tend to stay in the early 70's. good soul music was made even into the 80's, its just harder to find. 9 out of 10 are gonna sound like disco.

also drum machines and synthesizers and stuff like that started becoming big, which 99 percent of the time is terrible for hip hop. you don't want to sample something that already sounds like a beat. you want to sample something that sounds like a BAND.

thats a good start there resource wise

blogs are your best friend. google soul blogs, jazz blogs, etc. people put up old records for download and thats how you can get alot of sample matierial

you can probably even find blogs that specialise in putting up sample worthy music. i stay away from those because its all been touched so much i dont even bother, but you being new its good to get your hands on GOOD samples, because its easy to get discouraged if you download 10 albums and don't make a beat from anything off any of them lol
@uh-oh
the 2nd part as in the saxophone or whatever wind instrument that was lol?

and ight ill pause on the big beat for a min was gon restart anyway.
ill look at them site, already heard of who sampled

so when diggin do yall listen to them or pick random ones . download and then look for yall sample?

im just look for some people ive heard of lol

Okay so u didnt mention what to download so right now
im downloading

Isaac hayes - Black Moses
The isley brothers - 3+3

lmaoo at one download per hour
and takes an hour to finish download

i will be look for another music blog but i cant find a good one for sample worthy music its more like forums i see poppin up

yo this is all i could kinda find for download and oldie shit
http://soundsofthe70s.blogspot.com/

http://www.whosampled.com/song-tag/Soul/sampled/1/
http://www.whosampled.com/song-tag/Reggae/sampled/1/

Last edited by Malachi; 07-04-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Tags
become one w/ buttplug, lower tier scissorfags, meth induced tutorial, stole swamp things walkman, the zen of sodomy and cake