Sharp has disabled reputation
Default I made an album available on floppy disk

https://notmusic.bandcamp.com/album/floppy

Call me a bitch now

Thanks
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
Ynot

Ynot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant futureYnot has a brilliant future

Bitch.
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Thanks
Old 08-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #4
Answer
He / Him / His

Battle Record: 20-1

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Answer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant future

I perused a few of the beats and it sounds dope, has a cool trippy mellow vibe to it. I’ll peep more in depth when I get a chance to dedicate time to a full listen. Ngl I don’t understand the whole floppy angle but keep at it
Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
Master Rock
Steadily Lurking

Battle Record: 7-7

Champed
- Netcees Writers League

Master Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant future

This is so cool... I'm geeking out.

https://www.instagram.com/master_rock1/
https://www.youtube.com/graphicalmindz
Master Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:27 AM   #6
evaD

Battle Record: 19-10

Champed
- BA Show And Prove
- Summer Classic XI

evaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant future

Love this. Last track especially
Old 08-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer View Post
I perused a few of the beats and it sounds dope, has a cool trippy mellow vibe to it. I’ll peep more in depth when I get a chance to dedicate time to a full listen. Ngl I don’t understand the whole floppy angle but keep at it
Gratsi. Did you read the description there? That attempts to explain why putting this on a floppy was the end goal. It's gimmicky, but I swear there was a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Rock View Post
This is so cool... I'm geeking out.
Appreciate it boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaD View Post
Love this. Last track especially
Thanks, that one definitely means the most to me.

Hopefully you or swerve can make a concept out of this if you need it
Old 08-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
Answer
He / Him / His

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Answer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant future

peeped the whole thing, first one's my fav. It's definitely something I can imagine an indie/backpack rapper doing something introspective over. I do feel like I can tell a difference in the floppy version on some of them, especially with the drums on the first one. The last one definitely sounds the same in both to me. Either way, it definitely has those retro zelda snes music vibes but sounds like better quality to me

not really sure what you mean by mixing the tracks to emulate compression though. How do you do this? Is it a VST/plugin that adds lofi effects to it? I know it affects the overall quality of the instrument, but I've never considered whether or not it actually reduces/compresses the file size of the overall project unless its just saved at a lower compression rate
Old 08-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #9
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer View Post
peeped the whole thing, first one's my fav. It's definitely something I can imagine an indie/backpack rapper doing something introspective over. I do feel like I can tell a difference in the floppy version on some of them, especially with the drums on the first one. The last one definitely sounds the same in both to me. Either way, it definitely has those retro zelda snes music vibes but sounds like better quality to me

not really sure what you mean by mixing the tracks to emulate compression though. How do you do this? Is it a VST/plugin that adds lofi effects to it? I know it affects the overall quality of the instrument, but I've never considered whether or not it actually reduces/compresses the file size of the overall project unless its just saved at a lower compression rate
Appreciate it my guy

There are dedicated sound plug-ins for this (I think I used mda degrade a few times) but most of it is good old fashioned EQ and bandpass. It doesn't actually reduce the size of the file (the data is still there in a sense) but it sounds like you did.

The second half is all actually compressed, just by using audacity to export an mp3 with absurdly low sampling rate. Knowing how that sort of file sounded informed the mixing in the first half, so it kind of cut out what was already going to be cut in some cases.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
Incredible

Battle Record: 6-15

Incredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant future

Yo I listened to all of them, nice chill vibes. Hopefully this isn't a stupid question but just curious as to why if you compressed the songs why didn't it make them shorter? Original and floppy cut are the same length. Well I guess you said the size didn't get reduced. Did I just answer my own question? Lol
Incredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
Answer
He / Him / His

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible View Post
Yo I listened to all of them, nice chill vibes. Hopefully this isn't a stupid question but just curious as to why if you compressed the songs why didn't it make them shorter? Original and floppy cut are the same length. Well I guess you said the size didn't get reduced. Did I just answer my own question? Lol
Any file in your computer is just a bunch of 1's and 0's. Say you had a song, and the file looked something like this

I could change one small part of the file contents and if it's something really small, you probably can't even hear the difference between the one above and the one below

there are mathematic ways to determine which of the 1's and 0's have the least amount of impact on the song itself, and that's essentially what compression is. So in essence, your song might be reduced to something like

and you may or may not even be able to tell a difference. of course if you compress it too much it becomes noticeable.

WAV files are really big, sometimes 100 mb or so for a song, because they contain lots of information (lot's of 1's and 0's) whereas MP3 files are compressed and much smaller (about 3-4 mb for the same song).

But that has no impact on the length of the song itself. It's just removing a little bit of the quality from every sound you hear
Old 08-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #12
Incredible

Battle Record: 6-15

Incredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant future

Oh compressed like that, I see duh. Nice explanation. Explained fully. Still cool beats, was sitting here freestyling to all of them.
Incredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:57 PM   #13
evaD

Battle Record: 19-10

Champed
- BA Show And Prove
- Summer Classic XI

evaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant futureevaD has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
Gratsi. Did you read the description there? That attempts to explain why putting this on a floppy was the end goal. It's gimmicky, but I swear there was a point

Appreciate it boss

Thanks, that one definitely means the most to me.

Hopefully you or swerve can make a concept out of this if you need it
If ur after a straight shooter this man can’t
Swerve seen more releases from 2 inch floppies than sharps band camp
Old 08-25-2021, 10:14 PM   #14
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible View Post
Oh compressed like that, I see duh. Nice explanation. Explained fully. Still cool beats, was sitting here freestyling to all of them.
appreciate the listen. You weren't off with time, too, shorter songs = smaller file size. The finished product had some tracks get shortened to make it all fit on the floppy

just a really specific goal for the piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaD View Post
If ur after a straight shooter this man can’t
Swerve seen more releases from 2 inch floppies than sharps band camp
fire

18 lines to go
Old 08-25-2021, 10:22 PM   #15
NoetiC
Hesitation is Defeat

Battle Record: 1-1

NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC NoetiC

first of all... you a bitch

second... dope as fuck concept. even though 99.9% of people wont even be able to insert the disk into anything to listen to it, i applaud the effort of actually doing this.
NoetiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #16
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoetiC View Post
first of all... you a bitch
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoetiC View Post
second... dope as fuck concept. even though 99.9% of people wont even be able to insert the disk into anything to listen to it, i applaud the effort of actually doing this.
Thanks. The piece was really personal to me and this felt like giving it a really fitting treatment. There's definitely a lot to be said about no one being able to listen lol, but it was cheap and not a huge investment of time so it's more for me

Thanks for taking the time to look at and read through it
Old 08-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #17
Geno
White Earl

Battle Record: 10-15

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Geno

Dope
Old 08-26-2021, 08:01 PM   #18
Ouch

Battle Record: 1-5

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

Ouch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant future

I don't understand this..
Old 08-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #19
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

Ouch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant future

let me look at it, dope idea though really good idea... not sure how you'd execute it though
Old 08-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #20
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

niece buyt me3 ripping you son