Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Frank Metts

Battle Record: 0-1

Frank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant future
Default To live is to suffer...

... To survive is to find meaning in the suffering

That's Nietzsche btw not DMX

Discuss

Last edited by Frank Metts; 10-23-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Frank Metts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

meaning in the suffering...

Nietzsche is oft quoted and more often misinterpreted. He viewed himself first and foremost as an artist, his philosophical books have an artistic cadence and rhythm to them something akin to a musical score. My favorite piece by him is thus spoke zarathustra, hilarious and filled with pithy dialogue

lol @ dmx
NYCSPITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

Good man....sad for DMX though
Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Nahhh

Nahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant futureNahhh has a brilliant future

Mind fucked
Nahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

"That's what you get for hatin, FUCK YOU FAGGOT
I NEVER DID TRUST YOU FAGGOT, I BUST YOU FAGGOT"

That's DMX btw, not Nietzsche
Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
Mael
Almighty

Battle Record: 2-3

Mael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant future

To exist would have been more appropriate, imo.

Pain and pleasure are two sides of the same coin, inextricably linked by the presence of an observer (the coin's center). If I decided to start smoking tomorrow, along with a diet that consisted of nothing but junk food for the rest of the year, a life devoid of suffering would mean a lack of consequence. That would be absurd, and thus value is negated (being healthy would have no specific meaning).

However, there is greater significance in an act whereby the opposing force is greater than yourself. It would be more impressive to see an old man with a sprained ankle complete a marathon, rather than a young, fit guy.

So what we end up with is a pursuit to find both states of the highest value and significance. And this must come through suffering (the inherent opposing force).
Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post
To exist would have been more appropriate, imo.

Pain and pleasure are two sides of the same coin, inextricably linked by the presence of an observer (the coin's center). If I decided to start smoking tomorrow, along with a diet that consisted of nothing but junk food for the rest of the year, a life devoid of suffering would mean a lack of consequence. That would be absurd, and thus value is negated (being healthy would have no specific meaning).

However, there is greater significance in an act whereby the opposing force is greater than yourself. It would be more impressive to see an old man with a sprained ankle complete a marathon, rather than a young, fit guy.

So what we end up with is a pursuit to find both states of the highest value and significance. And this must come through suffering (the inherent opposing force).
I came in here to redeem my previous stupidity with a Henrich Ibsen quote:

("To live it to do battle with trolls
in the vaults of the heart and brain.
To write: that is to sit
in judgement over one's self.")

but this caught my attention. elaborate.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Mael
Almighty

Mael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant futureMael has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oats View Post
I came in here to redeem my previous stupidity with a Henrich Ibsen quote:

("To live it to do battle with trolls
in the vaults of the heart and brain.
To write: that is to sit
in judgement over one's self.")

but this caught my attention. elaborate.
Well, firstly, you can't win a battle without an opponent (an opposing force). I suppose you can, but no-show wins aren't really wins at all. This represents suffering (rather, suffering represents opposition), and depending on the type of battle, it could be physical (i.e. MMA, Boxing, contact sports). Significance increases by the relation between opposing forces. It'd be more impressive for me to beat Beyond in his prime then R!canTheoryz. To be the best you got to beat the beat.

Aesthetics, however, seems to be an exception to this. Sort of an effortless, minimalistic beauty. Art, I suppose, represents this abstraction. Artists don't really have to "battle" other artists in order for others to be impressed by their work. This is a plane of existence where subjectivity makes the calls.

So I guess it's objectivity vs. subjectivity.

Last edited by Mael; 10-23-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

@Mael I think there is something to that concept, but the cornerstone is flawed - that opposition necessitates suffering, or vice versa. To me, that's just a single facet of suffering. Suffering can be an absence, rather than a force. For example, if a loved one dies, the suffering truly lies in their absence, not the force of death/act of dying(which I would contend isn't a force at all, but rather an absence of life). To use your example, the absence of an opponent could be the source of suffering for someone, too.

Your initial example, however, is very interesting to unpack (the absence of consequence being the end of suffering, and the connection between suffering and value).
Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #10
Mael
Almighty

Quote:
@Mael I think there is something to that concept, but the cornerstone is flawed - that opposition necessitates suffering, or vice versa. To me, that's just a single facet of suffering. Suffering can be an absence, rather than a force. For example, if a loved one dies, the suffering truly lies in their absence, not the force of death/act of dying(which I would contend isn't a force at all, but rather an absence of life). To use your example, the absence of an opponent could be the source of suffering for someone, too.

Your initial example, however, is very interesting to unpack (the absence of consequence being the end of suffering, and the connection between suffering and value).
I agree, but I contend that the absence of X implies the presence of Y (depression). And depression is as a force, like a heavy weight, that brings a person down through emotions. Although I'm speaking metaphorically, we're still talking about that which is 'opposing', and even if emotional, it has physical effects.

Consider as well that 'opposing' relates to the word opposite. If I hold high expectations in meeting my opponent for battle, the opposite of this outcome (him not showing up, or as you simply put, his absence) would be in some sense a form of suffering, and thus, 'opposed' to what I consider, circumstantially, as a form of pleasure.

Hope you catch my drift? I'd say the only true absence is nonexistence.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
Mael
Almighty

@oats

In fact, consider people who battle depression.

Last edited by Mael; 10-23-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Battle Record: 3-5

veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas

CONSIDER WHO YOUR TRUE OPPONENT IS.
The cerebral assassin, the molder of minds, the Omni potent being. Time transcending traveler, wisdom incarnate. Veritas needs no intro but I guess I have to. He’s not know in the battling world but who doesn’t know veritas? The guy us always original and if you pay attention to his bars, dude brings the heat.. The gawd.
veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
Frank Metts

Frank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant futureFrank Metts has a brilliant future

Your true opponent is yourself ...
Frank Metts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
veritas
HALL OF FAME

veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Metts View Post
Your true opponent is yourself ...
EXACTLY!
The cerebral assassin, the molder of minds, the Omni potent being. Time transcending traveler, wisdom incarnate. Veritas needs no intro but I guess I have to. He’s not know in the battling world but who doesn’t know veritas? The guy us always original and if you pay attention to his bars, dude brings the heat.. The gawd.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
Ghost1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
"That's what you get for hatin, FUCK YOU FAGGOT
I NEVER DID TRUST YOU FAGGOT, I BUST YOU FAGGOT"

That's DMX btw, not Nietzsche
Lold
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Rawn MD
Get MacDon

Battle Record: 3-7

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD

This is the basis behind Buddhism

And when @Frank Metts leg is fully healed and he descends from his mountain top Atheninian temple and ventures into the next closest village the people shall call him zarathrustra while throwing stones at him for blasphemy

Where he will prove that they like in more a constant state of bad faith that would make Jean Paul Sarte jealous

At which point he will draft a second edition to the Tibetian book of the dead and continue his mission in a Zen-like state, which accompanied with his past contributions, would ultimately inspire David Carradine to undergo his autoerrotic asphyxiation ordeal

A. bove T. he R. est
Rawn MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
veritas
HALL OF FAME

^this seems legit.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
veritas
HALL OF FAME

I also like the idea of Rawn studying philosophy lol.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Rawn MD
Get MacDon

Battle Record: 3-7

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD Rawn MD

I almost got a minor in Philo but i decided it would ultimately be pointless, but one of the coolest classes I took in college was exisistentialism

Ended up getting a minor in Health Science instead, made more sense given my major

A. bove T. he R. est
Rawn MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Frankl and may go hard.