Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation
Default The case for reparations (article)

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/...ations/361631/

Anyone else read this? Very thought provoking. Basically addresses situations far beyond the end of slavery where reparations could be appropriate but basically admits we don't know what would be worth it, suggesting that we research the issue thoroughly.

How do you guys feel about this issue?
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
BROKE LESNAR
βгοкε ㄴεςηαг

Battle Record: 9-4

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League

BROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant future

Absolutely not. Slavery extended far beyond that of the plight of African-Americans. At one point in World History, and still to this day, Africans were auctioning off Africans into slavery. Child sex slavery is still commonplace. Reparations are entitlements. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Didn't read the article bc the topic itself disgusts me.
BROKE LESNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKE LESNAR View Post
Absolutely not. Slavery extended far beyond that of the plight of African-Americans. At one point in World History, and still to this day, Africans were auctioning off Africans into slavery. Child sex slavery is still commonplace. Reparations are entitlements. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Didn't read the article bc the topic itself disgusts me.
Don't worry, I know you didnt read the article haha but did you read my first post?

I'd suggest at least reading a section because this isn't reparations for slavery, it provides real, living people who have strong cases of deserving reparations for racially-motivated action taken against them that in most cases, left them without homes or in unmanageable debt due to predatory business practices. And the whole point wasn't 'this is why we need reparations' it was 'this is why it's worth looking into reparations as a people/country'.

It actually gave me a completely different look at the issue which is why I felt like I should share it

and @TYSON reading the article makes you wonder if it might not be too late, especially in the case of mid-20th century victims
Old 06-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

In theory I think reparations are fine, but the problem in my mind is the question of who would pay them, since everyone who actually owned slaves is now dead. Plus you have to ask how much would people receive, how we would figure out who is a descendant of slavery, etc. At this point it's a lost cause insofar as traditional reparations goes, something like college scholarships for descendants of slaves would be more palatable id think.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Battle Record: 3-5

veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas

teh barbary wars, I want muslims to pay reparations for that.
The cerebral assassin, the molder of minds, the Omni potent being. Time transcending traveler, wisdom incarnate. Veritas needs no intro but I guess I have to. He’s not know in the battling world but who doesn’t know veritas? The guy us always original and if you pay attention to his bars, dude brings the heat.. The gawd.
veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
TYSON
IN LOVE WITH A STRIPPER

Battle Record: 10-15

TYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant future

Its too late for reparations to go to the ones who deserved it. So i am not for reparations. And @BROKE LESNAR stop throwing the sins of another to excuse the sins of your ancestors. That in no way makes it justified....

Last edited by TYSON; 06-22-2014 at 04:07 PM.
TYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
BROKE LESNAR
βгοкε ㄴεςηαг

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League

BROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant futureBROKE LESNAR has a brilliant future

Are you willfully being an idiot or what? Sins of my ancestors? You think slavery in and of itself is a term, no, a STEREOTYPE, of black people SPECIFICALLY? And reparations for racism? Are you SERIOUS? So what, Jews of today should get reparations for THEIR "ancestors" being MASSACRED by the Nazis? Or better yet, for anti-Semitism? Or what about Gays? Should the LGBT community get reparations for bigotry? What other leftist ultra-sensitive liberal claptrap would you like? Would you like me to give you money for reparations? How about a gift card to Kohl's? Maybe a Google Play card? Raise taxes, increase entitlement spending?

What a joke.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
TYSON
IN LOVE WITH A STRIPPER

TYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant futureTYSON has a brilliant future

Quote:
Are you willfully being an idiot or what? Sins of my ancestors? You think slavery in and of itself is a term, no, a STEREOTYPE, of black people SPECIFICALLY? And reparations for racism? Are you SERIOUS? So what, Jews of today should get reparations for THEIR "ancestors" being MASSACRED by the Nazis? Or better yet, for anti-Semitism? Or what about Gays? Should the LGBT community get reparations for bigotry? What other leftist ultra-sensitive liberal claptrap would you like? Would you like me to give you money for reparations? How about a gift card to Kohl's? Maybe a Google Play card? Raise taxes, increase entitlement spending?

What a joke.
Again throwing other stupidity to cover americas past stupidity. I said i wasnt for it but your lack of remorse is one of the reasons people are still making articles about it.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
BROKE LESNAR
βгοкε ㄴεςηαг

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League

And predatory-business practices don't target race, they target ignorance and the uneducated. Anybody that has no idea what their getting into, for example, Cash-In-Advance businesses, anybody who doesn't read the terms and conditions or hasn't studied the terminology of a contractual agreement or isn't willing to take the necessary measures to educate themselves on a matter before committing to it..that is the mark.

Now if you're telling me that, by default, since black people are more likely to fall victim to these practices than AAAANNNNNYYYYY other race, that blacks are more ignorant and more uneducated, then I would argue it is YOU that are racist.

Stop with the reparation drivel, it's nauseating.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
TYSON
IN LOVE WITH A STRIPPER

Ill give it a read
Old 06-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #11
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

welfare and food stamps are enough reparation.
Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #12
Hush
NJ Devil

Battle Record: Who Cares

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Hush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
welfare and food stamps are enough reparation.
Salute
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
TYSON
IN LOVE WITH A STRIPPER

Lmao no innovator no.....and i am not or have been on neither in my adulthood.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...parations.html
Old 06-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
BROKE LESNAR
βгοкε ㄴεςηαг

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Nine View Post
Should Jews of today receive reparations for the Holocaust and anti-semitism? Yes or no?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #16
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Should Jews of today receive reparations for the Holocaust and anti-semitism? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
In 1952, when West Germany began the process of making amends for the Holocaust, it did so under conditions that should be instructive to us. Resistance was violent. Very few Germans believed that Jews were entitled to anything. Only 5 percent of West Germans surveyed reported feeling guilty about the Holocaust, and only 29 percent believed that Jews were owed restitution from the German people.

“The rest,” the historian Tony Judt wrote in his 2005 book, Postwar, “were divided between those (some two-fifths of respondents) who thought that only people ‘who really committed something’ were responsible and should pay, and those (21 percent) who thought ‘that the Jews themselves were partly responsible for what happened to them during the Third Reich.’ ”
Quote:
Reparations could not make up for the murder perpetrated by the Nazis. But they did launch Germany’s reckoning with itself, and perhaps provided a road map for how a great civilization might make itself worthy of the name.
Quote:
These results are dispiriting, but the crime with which reparations activists charge the country implicates more than just a few towns or corporations. The crime indicts the American people themselves, at every level, and in nearly every configuration. A crime that implicates the entire American people deserves its hearing in the legislative body that represents them.

John Conyers’s HR 40 is the vehicle for that hearing. No one can know what would come out of such a debate. Perhaps no number can fully capture the multi-century plunder of black people in America. Perhaps the number is so large that it can’t be imagined, let alone calculated and dispensed. But I believe that wrestling publicly with these questions matters as much as—if not more than—the specific answers that might be produced. An America that asks what it owes its most vulnerable citizens is improved and humane. An America that looks away is ignoring not just the sins of the past but the sins of the present and the certain sins of the future. More important than any single check cut to any African American, the payment of reparations would represent America’s maturation out of the childhood myth of its innocence into a wisdom worthy of its founders.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Adhering to middle-class norms is what made Ethel Weatherspoon a lucrative target for rapacious speculators. Contract sellers did not target the very poor. They targeted black people who had worked hard enough to save a down payment and dreamed of the emblem of American citizenship—homeownership. It was not a tangle of pathology that put a target on Clyde Ross’s back. It was not a culture of poverty that singled out Mattie Lewis for “the thrill of the chase and the kill.” Some black people always will be twice as good. But they generally find white predation to be thrice as fast.
Quote:
The American real-estate industry believed segregation to be a moral principle. As late as 1950, the National Association of Real Estate Boards’ code of ethics warned that “a Realtor should never be instrumental in introducing into a neighborhood … any race or nationality, or any individuals whose presence will clearly be detrimental to property values.”
Quote:
The Illinois state legislature had already given Chicago’s city council the right to approve—and thus to veto—any public housing in the city’s wards. This came in handy in 1949, when a new federal housing act sent millions of tax dollars into Chicago and other cities around the country. Beginning in 1950, site selection for public housing proceeded entirely on the grounds of segregation. By the 1960s, the city had created with its vast housing projects what the historian Arnold R. Hirsch calls a “second ghetto,” one larger than the old Black Belt but just as impermeable. More than 98 percent of all the family public-housing units built in Chicago between 1950 and the mid‑1960s were built in all-black neighborhoods.
Quote:
Governmental embrace of segregation was driven by the virulent racism of Chicago’s white citizens. White neighborhoods vulnerable to black encroachment formed block associations for the sole purpose of enforcing segregation. They lobbied fellow whites not to sell. They lobbied those blacks who did manage to buy to sell back. In 1949, a group of Englewood Catholics formed block associations intended to “keep up the neighborhood.” Translation: keep black people out. And when civic engagement was not enough, when government failed, when private banks could no longer hold the line, Chicago turned to an old tool in the American repertoire—racial violence. “The pattern of terrorism is easily discernible,” concluded a Chicago civic group in the 1940s. “It is at the seams of the black ghetto in all directions.” On July 1 and 2 of 1946, a mob of thousands assembled in Chicago’s Park Manor neighborhood, hoping to eject a black doctor who’d recently moved in. The mob pelted the house with rocks and set the garage on fire. The doctor moved away.
Quote:
why wont you read me??? :(
Old 06-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
BROKE LESNAR
βгοкε ㄴεςηαг

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League

Should Texas, California, New Mexico, etc. pay reparations to Mexico?

Should legal Immigrants pay reparations for illegal immigrants?

Should any gay or lesbian couple denied marriage in a church be paid reparations?

Should I be paid reparations by the Democratic and Republican party for what it has done to my US Constitution?

I mean it's entitlements. It's always entitlements.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
TYSON
IN LOVE WITH A STRIPPER

Quote:
Should Texas, California, New Mexico, etc. pay reparations to Mexico?

Should legal Immigrants pay reparations for illegal immigrants?

Should any gay or lesbian couple denied marriage in a church be paid reparations?

Should I be paid reparations by the Democratic and Republican party for what it has done to my US Constitution?

I mean it's entitlements. It's always entitlements.
Lol now you are just being an idiot but i see progress since we focused on america now. Truthfully im wondering why im arguing with u about cause i dont think we should but the ones who were in slavery should have but they didn't which is why its still in debate i quess.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

was the united states paying reparations to former japanese internees and their descendants entitlement?

all I'm saying is the issue deserves to be looked at because it can't be summed up in "it's all entitlements". That's just doing a disservice to those that could really deserve it.

Tags
devour a marsupial fetus, let masaii lift them up