Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Split

Battle Record: 27-22

Split has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond repute
Default fuck the Open Mic

that place is dead.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
Clayray
6ft of Seperation

Battle Record: 3-5

Champed
- Faggot of the Year (2015)

Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray

Resuscitate it then
Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
Split

Split has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond repute

I did my best when I was mod, but now I don't have any personal investment. Half the writers who kept it alive aren't active anymore.

It's the no-show shine forum
Old 08-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, but do you have any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
Bodey

Battle Record: 1-1

Champed
- Guerrilla writing league

Bodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant future

Sorry I Didn't Make You Proud 3?
Bodey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
theMuzzl3

Battle Record: 2-6

theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3

as a newbie, "open mic" is the perfect place for me to be.

Open mic in Vegas meant one of two things... either sign up for a list and play your turn; or "open jam", which I was most accustomed to (as a musician). And, I never participated in open mics or open jams that were hip hop. I performed in the blues & jazz crowd.... but the "open jams" were the best.

I'm thinking something like that should be implemented here -- to where people write rhymes and are limited to 4 lines & then the next person continues it from there... like a collaboration of sorts. I don't know how likely that is.
theMuzzl3 AKA Malibu's Most Wanted
theMuzzl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #7
Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain View Post
I disagree, but do you have any suggestions?
Have someone/ several people recruit active writers from RB, LA, RR. Tell them not to get sucked into the Discussion forum. The site rarely sees fresh topical blood except when the AOWL is starting up

Make a "feed for feed" thread somewhere where you can trade links. In the OP, list veteran writers who you can ask for advice or input.

In the magazines, ask a panel what they think the best drop of the month was, and why.

Ban/ remove the posting ability of people like DexLabb who don't leave real feedback, and essentially flood the forum with placeholders for free

Either give the audio people their own forum or subforum, because they aren't interested in text drops. Exception= people who drop text drops anyways

Find a mod who will actually clean up/ maintain the forum. Genocide is a placeholder and Zygote is regrettably absent. Zen is a great mag writer but doesn't police very much.

Cut down on freeposting for the most part, even though it's entertaining

Find a way to encourage HOF voting. HOF should be exclusive but not estranged from the entire population of writers. OM HOF =/= level of prestige of writers HOF. We've been very withholding

wtf happened to Write Weeks and Write Nights

Someone contact Namix, make sure he's alive, and ask him what his vision for the place is.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #8
Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badi Alii View Post
Sorry I Didn't Make You Proud 3?
repped
Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
Meth
Back again.

Battle Record: 12-5

Champed
- Time to Kill IV
- 1-2 Punch Panic Room

Meth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Meth

Write weeks were cool you

I got some votes for the first one

Meth is tawpical Gawd
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #10
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Have someone/ several people recruit active writers from RB, LA, RR. Tell them not to get sucked into the Discussion forum. The site rarely sees fresh topical blood except when the AOWL is starting up

That's not a bad idea, but are their Open Mic forums any more successful?

Make a "feed for feed" thread somewhere where you can trade links. In the OP, list veteran writers who you can ask for advice or input.

This is a good idea. I'll do this, maybe tonight if I feel inspired.

In the magazines, ask a panel what they think the best drop of the month was, and why.

I'll leave that to @Zen and @zygote.

Ban/ remove the posting ability of people like DexLabb who don't leave real feedback, and essentially flood the forum with placeholders for free

DexLabb is the only one who does this, really. And if he keeps it up, he'll be banned from the forum.

Either give the audio people their own forum or subforum, because they aren't interested in text drops. Exception= people who drop text drops anyways

Don't agree. There are almost no audio drops. Nearly every text-heavy site's audio forum is a wasteland. Unless we get an active audio community, separating the forums is a bad move.

Find a mod who will actually clean up/ maintain the forum. Genocide is a placeholder and Zygote is regrettably absent. Zen is a great mag writer but doesn't police very much.

None of them police the place, you're right. But no one wants to be the dick in Open Mic. Closing threads seems to draw jeers.

Cut down on freeposting for the most part, even though it's entertaining

I disagree here because it's pretty clear that having a lot of replies in a thread gets more attention to the verse, not less. Also, we should feel free to have discussions rather than stiff and rigid feedback protocols.

Find a way to encourage HOF voting. HOF should be exclusive but not estranged from the entire population of writers. OM HOF =/= level of prestige of writers HOF. We've been very withholding

I don't know what you mean. I think you mean that Hall of Fame voting should be open to more than veterans, and I don't have a problem with that. If you mean we've only let veterans make the Hall of Fame, well, show me a snub by someone unknown.

wtf happened to Write Weeks and Write Nights

Write Nights died alongside Fight Nights. We all operate on different schedules now, and most of the boarding done in 2014, unlike even as recently as 2012, is by phone. Write Weeks simply didn't draw enough voting and feedback. A new format could be thought up. Perhaps topic-based cyphering with a single judge, like the Battle Arena Cypher.

Someone contact Namix, make sure he's alive, and ask him what his vision for the place is.

namix is busy with life right now.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
theMuzzl3

Battle Record: 2-6

theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
I was wondering where a good place is to post my music page links, as well as other artists that are my friends.
theMuzzl3 AKA Malibu's Most Wanted
theMuzzl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 AM   #12
Split

Are there any other Open Mics that are more successful?
>Not with as much talent, persay, but our activity is certainly well off-peak. RR is an activity factory. When the site was still AOB after the restart we had pretty much every good writer come here at least briefly & at least a third still come back, maybe half of those are now active writers. Didn't Fig come from reddit? How much untapped potential is there that could bring new life & new motivation to the site?

Audio forums are a graveyard
>that's because no one wants to listen to Soundclick rappers, & rap forums are just another plug for them anyhow. Deadweight. Again, there are exceptions- usually contributing members of the site OR members of an audio league. RB is where all the audio heads are.

Closing threads draw jeers
>Just logging in every couple of days and commenting on half of the drops with a line or two, and mentioning the rules if they happen to be broken, would be sufficient. Think "forum caretaker." KnowP does this on RB and it's better than straight up freeposting or sloppy feed & encourages activity

>don't cut down on free posting
Ok I know what you mean, but maybe what in saying is we need more Legit feed- a la Vulgar

HOF voting confusion
>Why does no one nominate drops? Is it just me, or does it seem like literally no one cares or knows about the OM HOF? Where's the competitive spirit?

New format of competition
>something like Muzzle said- four lines in a cypher, with an original topic, and voting based on adherence to rhyme scheme as well as creativity etc. I'll elaborate if you want

Namix is busy with real life
>just lol
Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 AM   #13
CopyPat
Mic Check

Battle Record: 13-10

CopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to CopyPat

pretty good ideas tbh.

I've always said there should be a verse of the month for every month. and like a top 3 or top 5 picked or something as well as that #1 spot. VOTM. BUT this should be completely independent of HOF. pick 3-5 best of the month at the end of every month and rank them, break them down/give them props whatever and sticky that for the entirety of the next month. Then all over again with new picks and new sticky(old one replaced) to start every month. VOTM could even be an accomp too if ppl wanted it..

then HOF is still totally separate.. So there's a VOTM nomination thread instead of a HOF of the month one.

HOF's should still get picked obviously, but instead of nominating something for HOF which should be RARE and only a few picked each year, you're nominating 3-5 pieces every month for verse of the month. even with our current monthly hof nomination thread there is usually 3-5 consensus picks as top pieces anyways...

at the end of the YEAR you could even put say all 36 drops (top 3 per month) as the top hof noms of the year and everyone can vote which they think are HOF worthy, if any...

my 2 cents.

@Certain, @El Pancake, @Zen, @Split
Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 AM   #14
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Quote:
RR is an activity factory.
Just looked. Their Open Mic section is terrible. The R seems to be the only person leaving any legitimate feed on anything. We have many more veterans who leave legitimate feed regularly. Topical battlers do not equal Open Mic contributors.

As to your other point, I agree that potential solid members are everywhere. And if we can bring them here, that's great. But I don't see any other site's Open Mic section functioning at a better level than ours, to be honest, when it comes to quality or even quantity.

Quote:
Audio forums are a graveyard
>that's because no one wants to listen to Soundclick rappers, & rap forums are just another plug for them anyhow. Deadweight. Again, there are exceptions- usually contributing members of the site OR members of an audio league. RB is where all the audio heads are.
So you want a quarantine? It's not as though the three audio drops every week are clogging the forum.

Quote:
Closing threads draw jeers
>Just logging in every couple of days and commenting on half of the drops with a line or two, and mentioning the rules if they happen to be broken, would be sufficient. Think "forum caretaker." KnowP does this on RB and it's better than straight up freeposting or sloppy feed & encourages activity
For one, we don't have rules, per se. Two-link requirements are lame. The better function would be if everyone were better at returning feed and shunning those who don't feed. I've tried to do this on both ends.

As far as having a moderator who gives a little feed on everything, sure, that would be great. But first we have to find someone competent and willing.

Quote:
Ok I know what you mean, but maybe what in saying is we need more Legit feed- a la Vulgar
Of course we do. There can never be enough legitimate feed. But most good pieces here get at least one or two legitimate breakdowns from veterans. The shitty stuff tends to get ignored or fed briefly, which can be a shame sometimes.

Quote:
Why does no one nominate drops? Is it just me, or does it seem like literally no one cares or knows about the OM HOF? Where's the competitive spirit?
Nominations are open to the public. But I think we get enough. It usually ends up being about five to eight pieces a month getting nominated. That's a lot of work for the committee already.

Quote:
something like Muzzle said- four lines in a cypher, with an original topic, and voting based on adherence to rhyme scheme as well as creativity etc. I'll elaborate if you want
Please, do.

Quote:
Namix is busy with real life
>just lol
namix pays the bills. He never said he'd be the most active site owner. Do you see advertisements here? He has nothing to gain by owning this site or having it succeed. He's doing as much as he's doing out of good will.

We're all volunteers. That's what you seem to be forgetting.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #15
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
I was wondering where a good place is to post my music page links, as well as other artists that are my friends.
Just make a thread in here and update it as you see fit. You can probably post your projects and whatnot from time to time as well, but if you spam the forum with endless topics it might not be received that well or not replied to at all tho'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o
Objective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 AM   #16
Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyPat View Post
pretty good ideas tbh.

I've always said there should be a verse of the month for every month. and like a top 3 or top 5 picked or something as well as that #1 spot. VOTM. BUT this should be completely independent of HOF. pick 3-5 best of the month at the end of every month and rank them, break them down/give them props whatever and sticky that for the entirety of the next month. Then all over again with new picks and new sticky(old one replaced) to start every month. VOTM could even be an accomp too if ppl wanted it..

then HOF is still totally separate.. So there's a VOTM nomination thread instead of a HOF of the month one.

HOF's should still get picked obviously, but instead of nominating something for HOF which should be RARE and only a few picked each year, you're nominating 3-5 pieces every month for verse of the month. even with our current monthly hof nomination thread there is usually 3-5 consensus picks as top pieces anyways...

at the end of the YEAR you could even put say all 36 drops (top 3 per month) as the top hof noms of the year and everyone can vote which they think are HOF worthy, if any...

my 2 cents.

@Certain, @El Pancake, @Zen, @Split
That's a fantastic idea.

"If we can bring people here, we should"
We can, and we should. @Management get on that

Your feeding people who contribute and shunning those who don't is good. But it's always good to tell people to feed if they don't lol. Better to foster growth.

I think we get just the right # of noms if we also implement CopyPat's VOTM idea

You guys are doing a good job. Especially the topical portion of the site. But I still think the OM can improve with a little attention & hopefully this thread helps with that
Old 08-28-2014, 02:44 AM   #17
Clayray
6ft of Seperation

Champed

Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray Clayray

I know it's a long shot, but I'd gladly take Mod over the OM. It doesn't get the attention it needs, mostly because of people schedules/lack of interest. I'm here solely for open mic drops and fucking with people. I can be here daily, my schedule is open. I'm 20 (might be youngest here y'all seem old af, no offense) I'm in school and have a part time job. Besides spending time with my girl, I'm free. And I'm not a fag who's gonna flake out cause I have to study for some fuck ass finals week idek

I certainly don't have a problem with being the asshole. I can be told I'm an asshole all day but as long as the OM is running good I'm okay with that.

And I'm not opposed to new ideas or competitions.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:47 AM   #18
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit View Post
I know it's a long shot, but I'd gladly take Mod over the OM. It doesn't get the attention it needs, mostly because of people schedules/lack of interest. I'm here solely for open mic drops and fucking with people. I can be here daily, my schedule is open. I'm 20 (might be youngest here y'all seem old af, no offense) I'm in school and have a part time job. Besides spending time with my girl, I'm free. And I'm not a fag who's gonna flake out cause I have to study for some fuck ass finals week idek

I certainly don't have a problem with being the asshole. I can be told I'm an asshole all day but as long as the OM is running good I'm okay with that.

And I'm not opposed to new ideas or competitions.
Who are you?
Certain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #19
Clayray
6ft of Seperation

Champed

I think people around here have gotten comfortable in their role. No one wants to elevate, or help others to reach a new level. I'm not the best but I have ambition to bypass your favorite writers favorite writer.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #20
Clayray
6ft of Seperation

Champed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain View Post
Who are you?
From RB. No one important.