Old 07-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #87
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
I believe it's none of my fucking business how someone else chooses to identify their gender. If it's in their best interest to visually present as that gender (through clothing or GRS), good for them. They're a human being no different than any other human being.

Not a mental disorder. Be who you want to be (within the generally accepted rules of society - e.g., don't be a murderer unless you plan to enlist).
word i agree except for the not being a mental disorder part. i don't think it should stop them from being allowed to enlist though. granted their would be hurdles, if it came to housing and bathrooms and certain logistical things, but we figure it out easy enough when it comes to imprisoning them, so we should be able to figure it out as far as the military is concerned. but i left that out of this thread because it doesn't interest me either way. i was just curious about it being a mental illness or whatever.

again to reiterate i don't think villifying them is the answer. i call them freaks of nature and trannys to be crass in my attempts at humor.

but if we're judging by how the world views it, its classified as a disorder, in america some psychiatric journal or something declassified it though, and there is support for it not being classified as such anymore.

but when you google mental disorder, and granted its wikipedia!!, it seems to fit the bill pretty soundly.

Quote:
A mental disorder, also called a mental illness[2] or psychiatric disorder, is a behavioral or mental pattern that may cause suffering or a poor ability to function in life. Such features may be persistent, relapsing and remitting, or occur as a single episode. Many disorders have been described, with signs and symptoms that vary widely between specific disorders.[3][4] Such disorders may be diagnosed by a mental health professional.

The causes of mental disorders are often unclear. Theories may incorporate findings from a range of fields. Mental disorders are usually defined by a combination of how a person behaves, feels, perceives, or thinks.[3] This may be associated with particular regions or functions of the brain, often in a social context. A mental disorder is one aspect of mental health. Cultural and religious beliefs, as well as social norms, should be taken into account when making a diagnosis.[5]

Services are based in psychiatric hospitals or in the community, and assessments are carried out by psychiatrists, psychologists, and clinical social workers, using various methods but often relying on observation and questioning. Treatments are provided by various mental health professionals. Psychotherapy and psychiatric medication are two major treatment options. Other treatments include social interventions, peer support, and self-help. In a minority of cases there might be involuntary detention or treatment. Prevention programs have been shown to reduce depression.[3]

Common mental disorders include depression, which affects about 400 million, dementia which affects about 35 million, and schizophrenia, which affects about 21 million people globally.[3] Stigma and discrimination can add to the suffering and disability associated with mental disorders, leading to various social movements attempting to increase understanding and challenge social exclusion.