- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so, as far as I understand it originally there were chat rooms on Yahoo Instant Messenger or in programs like Napster etc where people would could use their mics and would freestyle to words given by the other members of the chat. Some would do this in audio to show their skill and that nothing was prewritten. Others who didn’t have mics or their internet was just too slow to do the voices shit (dial up 56k days) would type up lyrics insulting other regular chat members or using nameplays off their screen names etc.

This would be very early on, maybe 1994/1995. I know Yahoo Messenger had a dedicated “hip hop” chat room meant for discussing all things hip hop.

Some time around 1996 the first actual places dedicated to posting stuff popped up. It was all very new and exciting. Keystyling as we know it now was a huge sign of who had the most skill, being able to respond quickly, flipping your opponents shit on them, and battles would regularly go several rounds.

There were many hip hop type places to post, a few of the more notable ones were Davey D’s, Mental Meltdown, Sethro’s Board, ThaLandz, Jamie’s Crackhouse, IGU Board, The guillotine, HipHop Hotlist

You can view some of the bigger crews and names here:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj2/kephusapostle/crews.html

TheRose compiled this list. You’ll see a few names you should probably recognise in KNO, Jugga, Cashmere The Pro, maybe more too depending how into hip hop you are.

Two of the biggest crews around this time, Redline and Sons of Zadok, did a huge battle that is archived here at NC:

http://www.netcees.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=Zadok

There’s other early stuff me, trap and Infiltration have archived here from the likes of Diesel and others you can check out.

I know RapMusic.com was up in Oct 1999 because I was registered there as a dumb ass name. I mainly only remember Jeff/Janitor running it because he had the site for YEARS but i believe it had a few diff owners over time. Janitor eventually sold it and now it’s a ghost site pretty much. At one point though, RM’s battle league the RBL was the biggest online. It would have like 100 people signed in at once. For a weekly battle league. Crazy. It’s topical league, the RSTL, would have at least 40-50 people signed up. Weekly.

UrbanProwlers I think largely consists of people from all over old boards, sort of like NC does now, you’ve got VERY old people like TheRose, trap etc that came from those early initial boards. You’ve got members from HomeGrownHipHopZone, RapMusic.com, MrBlunt.com, UGHH.com which is still running a (largely dead) forum I believe. There are tourneys as far back as 2000 that’s UPN has archived which happened there featuring the likes of Kno, Jugga and Cashmere.

I know RapBattles as we know it now was originally just called RapBattle (no S) in its earliest years - the original board was on some sort of EZ Board format, it gained a lot of popularity, it was run by a guy who went by Shadowz_iLL and eventually it moved to VBulletin and attached the S to the end of its name. There were a lot of dope heads at one time. A lot of it’s original vets didn’t like the admin(s) and eventually created RhymeNReason which was Jay Krupp’s board.

You’re probably talking 2002 at this time and way more boards were around. Jay was basically a vet at RB, a lot of its old guard left with him and went to RnR like The Infinite Flow, Father Flow, Black Flow, listen/chicken, AbolishDaAnatonym, Salvation/ The Illest etc

I remember Jay Krupp and Shadowz_iLL finally battling it out on a neutral board, SOHH and they both went long bar style for it. I forget who won but Shadow continued to post at Krupp’s RnR site after eventually selling RB to The End and his other admin alldig. The two new admins were at logger heads, one wanted to start a new site clean over, one wanted to continue with RB. They couldn’t agree. One mirrored the website, leaving a gateway portal so you could choose to post at the old RB or the “new” mirrored one. The mirrored one became RapVerse.com which spawned DaTrusHurtz and others you may be familiar with. They could have been around before, I don’t remember, but this is where I remember them starting from.

Last edited by sral; 09-14-2018 at 07:58 PM.
sral is offline   Reply With Quote