View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
YDK
ghost in the matrix

Battle Record: 14-25

Champed
- Art of Writing League (x2)
- Lime Green Poetry Association

YDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant future

This was definitely a clash of styles here lol Edit:

Certain: this was cool man, honestly not the best I've seen from you especially after last week's verse lol but still you had a lot of extremely fresh wording and quite a few one or "half" liners which were nice like the
"The caveat crawls into a calloused coma: death by fugue."
For some reason that line really stood out to me, I like the idea and the calloused coma at first sounded weird but with the imagery it brought out was really cool.
The flow itself was very...sharp? for lack of a better word. As to say it was short and to the point and was constantly changing never really solidifying a steady tempo but kept it reading at a fairly fast pace. Honestly I preferred the second stanza over the others simply because it flowed the easiest for me even though it was lacking the content and punch of the other 3.
Overall it was an odd display of vocab imagery and metaphors that usually turn me away from a verse but in this case drew me into it more making me think deeper into the meaning and not just the surface story/rhymes.
Good shit bro.

King Ra: Damn man this read a ton smoother than certain's this week but really lacked the usual substance I've came to expect from you. not to say it didn't have a cool spin on a halfway old tale but because i'm use to much bigger concepts from you. It really felt (as pancake said) you had the ending lines first. Honestly I almost ALWAYS wrote the last couple lines to my pieces first and built a story up to them but after competing here I realized how much that limits the rest of the verse. That's what it felt like here, the last few lines and the way you incoorperated the topic at the end literally gave me cold chills (possibly because I was taking a shit and the a/c kicked on) but I really enjoyed the "damn" feeling at the end when I saw how it ended even though I kinda felt it coming.
I wish the character would have had more depth, more development as to WHY he didn't give a shit about the girl.
Especially when it's said "i'll either die or fight for survival". Why? why choose to die if he's gonna try to live anyway? I personally dealt with manic depression for years and never once thought "i'll either shoot myself in the head and die, or i'll live with a fucked up face and be retarded forever" ya feel me?

Overall I really liked both verses. Certain and the subtle meanings the mastery of the English language and the very "pure" writing, Where as Ra focused more on the emotion and topic itself than on the wording and the writing of the piece. I honestly enjoyed Ra's more because of the simplicity and the story telling aspect, but this isn't only an enjoyment vote, its also about technique and writing which I feel certain topped in this battle so I gotta give my vote to
Certain

Dope battle guys

Last edited by YDK; 07-22-2014 at 11:06 PM.