Old 01-07-2020, 06:51 AM   #32
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate View Post
I agree that "poor" in today's America is nothing like "poor" in other places and times. But that's because there is some semblance of a government funded social safety net to provide for those basic needs like food and housing. So you do have government taking money from some citizens via taxes to give to other citizens as welfare. Is your contention that this should be abolished, or that the level it's at now is about right and we shouldn't change it?

I agree that people with brilliant ideas should absolutely make a fuck ton of money for them. That kind of incentive is what drives innovation and progress. I'm not sure if you were still talking about your idealised world or real life with the poor person accepting the lower paid job but having the option to build a higher paying career if they chose it. I don't agree that that's practically possible for the majority of people at the bottom under the current system.

Which is why I really like the UBI. It's rampant capitalism with all the benefits that attracts, but with a non-zero floor which gives people a more realistic shot at social mobility. The welfare system as it stands disincentivises people from trying to do better for themselves and is an inefficient beauracratic nightmare to administer. UBI does better on both of those fronts.
ubi is a nightmare. the goal is to make it where peoples needs are covered, meaning rent/food/utilities. its STARTING at 1k a month. the idea being that if people dont have to work to survive they can pursue their passions or whatever.

it completely disincentivises working for a living. as it stands at 1k a month, i could literally quit my job. my rents 550. my electric is around 100 my phones around 100. i'd sell my car and have 250 for food every month. i'd do nothing but leach off the system

i just feel like my views are different because im a piece of shit lmao. everyone i know is a piece of shit. people i know who are on welfare all sell the majority of their foodstamps for cash, why would giving them cash incentivize them more?

but yea i dunno, as for booth stating that if people made more money they would be willing to spend more at a mom and pops thats just ridiculous. i just bought and built a new pc. i have a ridiculous disposable income in terms of what i make vs. my bills/necessities. i didn't go to a random computer shop to help a local business, i bought everything off amazon and looked for black friday/cyber monday deals. why would i pay more for the same thing? thats retarded.