View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
King Ra.
The Throne, The Crown

Battle Record: 21-35

King Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant future

What an interesting match-up we have here. You both presented two pieces that aren't of your normal output. But this was an enjoyable read from both of you.

@Certain, at first read-through, I was a bit skeptical because of the paragraph direction you took here. But reading your story, I was drawn in from beginning to end. Apparently, your piece centered around a funeral at a church. The opening line before each stanza was the pastor? giving the eulogy, and I thought that was pretty cool how after each mention of the characters, you went into describing them. You did a good job of painting a picture of each one. You didn't overdo it, you did just enough and you kept it in line with the overall direction and tone of your story. Usually in pieces with paragraph style, an emphasis is placed on rhyming heavily, but you did it very differently. While it wasn't fluid, you did manage to string your lines together fairly well. It reminds me of a piece zygote did, that script style, except, he didn't rhyme at all. I think what most impressed me outside of managing to provide a good story in this style, is the tone. I felt a sense of darkness, melancholy, wonder- I imagine a funeral in the midst of a light rainfall, grey clouds.... it really made everything fit together. You nailed the topic very well, overall.

@oats, first off, I was a bit shocked at the direction you took, because it's not like a traditional verse you usually drop, and I figure that maybe you put this together in a short amount of time. Nonetheless, this was a very cool read. Definitely reminds me of something Frank would put together, except, it has your personal flavor. I liked you you gave us a chronicle of a MMA/UFC fighter? whom I don't know, but I can tell you obviously did your research or knew about him. Your descriptions/details really shined in your story. The way you were able to not only describe the octagon setting in the beginning, a bit of some fights and also piece together his character traits, was top notch. Of course, the fluid rhyming from line to line helped as well. It made for an easy read, and was very enjoyable, fun. In connection to the topic, I believe you hit on it well, going a more safer, traditional route than Certain.

A great read on both ends, easily BOTW in this second round. I wouldn't necessarily say it's HOF as YDK mentioned, but definitely a close bout. While I liked both takes on the topic, one of you drew me in more. oats, I liked your piece. It had the touch of a typical oats verse, scheme and description wise. On the other hand I felt it was a bit too safe in comparison to Certain's story. His was riskier, going with a paragraph style, but as he also had good descriptions, his content struck me more. I felt oats wrote very well, but I was expecting something more in depth, unique. I felt Certain delivered that uniqueness in this bout. Good match.

MVGT: Certain. Good job by both competitors.