View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #22
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

I want to start out by saying I love you all, including Frank.

dead man vs. Witty
Topic: “Justice?—You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law."
Analysis: These two share a lot of strengths. Witty's verse last week was very well written, but he didn't connect with the topic enough. That's probably the exact wrong way to go about facing dead man, who simply doesn't get outwritten. The topic favors him, as well, as he'll be able to write a topical instead of a story with little problem here.
Prediction: dead man 71-29.

ZYG vs. big baby
Topic: "Spring, summer, and fall fill us with hope; winter alone reminds us of the human condition."
Analysis: This battle is fucking mesmerizing. It probably will be up before I even finish these predictions. These two have opposing styles in every way. big baby will need to pay attention to the topic because ZYG never slips on that aspect. This comes down to ZYG's concept vs. big baby's words, but I think ZYG is stronger with words than big baby is with concepts. In an Open Mic contest, I'd favor big baby. But ZYG is my pick to win it all.
Prediction: ZYG 52-48.

Nigma vs. trap
Topic: "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be."
Analysis: Neither of these two would be grouped among the 10 writers most likely to win this whole thing, but they're both dangerous. trap came very conceptual and loose last round, and that suits his style. So does this topic, I think. Nigma is at his best when his ambitions are boldest. I love this topic. I really, really love this topic. I fucking wish I had this topic. It suits trap more, though, and I think that will be the difference.
Prediction: trap 57-43.

Totoro vs. oXus
Topic: "I am secretly in love with everyone that I grew up with."
Analysis: The National! Neither of these guys listens to The National, I bet. I think this battle is actually really close, with two of the most polished lyricists in this tournament facing off. oXus doesn't particularly care for the entire sport of topical writing, though, and I could see him taking a bit too abstract an approach here. Then again, Totoro sometimes ignores the topic altogether. But he has an X factor: oXus is starting down four votes.
Prediction: Totoro 68-32.

Pent uP vs. Wise Ways
Topic: "You've got to jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down."
Analysis: Wise Ways definitely outwrote Pent uP last round, as he had one of the three best verses I read. But everything is new again. This topic just seems perfect for Pent uP. I think Wise Ways is the better writer in a void, but Pent uP has a lot of experience and isn't overmatched against anyone. He'll better his effort for this round, especially with a topic that fits him.
Prediction: Pent uP 61-39.

Lars vs. Certain
Topic: "Thanks to words, we have been able to rise above the brutes; and thanks to words, we have often sunk to the level of the demons."
Analysis: Good luck.
Prediction: Battle of the week.

Vulgar vs. Split Eight
Topic: "The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he has acquired during the first half."
Analysis: This topic seems heavily slanted toward Vulgar, to the point where I don't think I would predict anyone would beat Vulgar on it. Split Eight was my pick to win this quadrant, though, and I think he has a real shot at knocking out Vulgar because his style is so contrasting. He'll need a very lucid effort because you can't beat Vulgar on the abstract tip.
Prediction: Vulgar 59-41.

uh-oh vs. Oats
Topic: "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Analysis: I've only read one verse by uh-oh, so this is going to be somewhat ignorant. Still, I like this topic and think they both will be able to handle it well. I'm going to lean toward oats writing a more refined and complete verse, though.
Prediction: oats 63-37.