View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #17
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

Which would make this dystopian story but could potentially become a reality after 15th December if it passes worthwhile to read:

On May 16, 2018, Robert moved to a new city. He was excited to start his new job, and lay down roots in the community. He wasn't worried about losing connections to his old friends, because Robert would play games with them every thursday night. Robert arrived at his new house and called the only ISP that services his house, "BIG ISP Co." They sent a technician the next day to set up his Internet service.
"Okay, I've got your modem plugged in, now I just need to know what services you use." The tech looked down at his tablet and cleared his throat, preparing to read from a list. "Just stop me when you hear a service you would like to use." He began to read, "BIG Movies, BIG Music, BIG Storage."
"No, I don't use those, I didn't have BIG Internet at my last house." Robert replied, "I think it would be faster if I just gave you a list of what I plan to use."
"That might be a problem, especially if your services don't fit in a BIG Internet bundle we already offer."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, do you watch movies online from services like Netflix and Amazon Prime?"
"Yes, of course I do."
"Okay, we'll add the streaming movies package." The tech checked off a box, and the monthly price for Robert's quote got higher at the bottom of the his tablet. "What about television, do you catch up on missed episodes online?
"Yes, of course! I can't be around all the time when shows are on!"
"No problem. I'll add the streaming television package too." The tech checked another box, and Robert's quote got higher again. "How about music, you said you don't use BIG Music, do you want to listen to another internet radio service?"
"I have a ton of Spotify playlists! Pretty much one for every occasion."
"Okay, we'll need to add the Music Streaming package, then." Another box checked, another increase to Robert's monthly subscription cost. "Now, how about games, do you use BIG Games to play with friends?"
"No, I connect with friends using Discord, and we play all sort of games."
"Discord, huh? VOIP service too, then." The tech scrolled through his list looking for VOIP services. He checked the box, and the quote got higher. "You play games from Steam?"
"Yes."
"Origin?"
"Yes."
"GoG?"
"Yes."
With each "yes," the price of Robert's monthly fee went up.
"Guild Wars?"
"Yes."
"Battle.net?"
"Yes."
"Star Citizen?"
"Yes."
"Candy Crush?"
"No. I don't play Candy Crush."
"Great, you're going to love the savings of not paying for Facebook games."
"I'm not so sure about that." Robert looked at the tablet. The long list of third party services had come with service charges that ballooned his rate to twice what he expected to pay. "My last service provider didn't charge me extra to use Netflix or Spotify or Steam. This seems like a racket!"
"Well, sir, you're welcome to use a competitor, then. LARGENET services the other side of town. I think their service charges are pretty much the same, so if you care about it so much, you're welcome to move. I won't keep you here."
"That's it, I can pay your fees or move?! Those are my only options?" Robert was incredulous. "This can't be legal!"
"Completely legal, sir. Net Neutrality is a thing of the past. I am a BIG ISP Co shareholder, and I would be furious if they weren't making all the money they could. LARGENET does it. GIANT CONNECT does it. We have to do it to compete!"
"Fine" Robert said, "lets just sign this thing."
"Hold your horses, Cowboy" The technician guffawed at the idea that he was finished. "We haven't even talked about your data cap yet."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o
Objective is offline   Reply With Quote