Old 09-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
Answer
He / Him / His

Battle Record: 20-1

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Answer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1 View Post
Also making discrimination black and white is dumb

U can do better answer
The part that's black and white is whether businesses are allowed to discriminate. Either they can discriminate or they can't discriminate, there are no other options available.

Once you start talking about the nuances of which groups of people they're ALLOWED to discriminate against, you've already made the black and white choice and are insisting that businesses should be allowed to discriminate.

I'm not really interested in the nuances of who businesses can discriminate against because people are only going to view that through a self-serving lens.

I have a half-sister and her mom is a jewish conservative who has some racist views. She'll hear a racist joke about black people, and find that shit hilarious. She'd probably pay good money to see Jim tell cracker barrel live. But if she hears someone tells a joke about jewish people or the holocaust, that person is a bigot, the joke is not funny, and that's a subject that should never be talked about.

Similarly, it would be hypocritical of me to say it's okay to make fun of jewish people, black people, gay people, women, but if you say anything about deaf people you've crossed the line and that's going too far.

So the only non-hypocritical view I can have is to say "it's okay to make fun of everyone" or "it's not okay to make fun of anyone". Which is why in this argument, the scope has to be pushed back to "it's okay for businesses to discriminate against everyone" or "it's not okay to discriminate against anyone".

We can't pick and choose when discrimination is or isn't acceptable because it's not possible to do that ethically. Most people don't care about an attack unless it's an attack against them (or by proxy, someone who they're close to). But then it's no longer about being objective. It's about who has the most people in the population with the power to make changes, and anyone who's not in that majority is going to get the shit end of the stick, which creates inequality.

To your other point, if liberals were staunchly against cake-makers having the right to discriminate against gay people and are now strongly advocating the rights for businesses to force their employees to get vaccinated then yes, that's hypocritical. I'm not saying those people don't exist, but I haven't seen them. I've seen plenty of people arguing and telling people that they need to go get vaccinated, and if someone is demonizing someone who is antivaxx by saying "You're a souless, selfish piece of shit blah blah if you don't get vaccinated" that's still not the same as saying "businesses should be forcing their employees to get vaccinated" which isn’t an argument I’ve seen anyone make.

What I have seen is numerous people claiming that (private sector) businesses forcing their employees to get vaccinated is a violation of employee rights, which is just false, because as we've established from the black and white choice we've made, we've decided that businesses are allowed to discriminate against anyone, and they have the right to choose who they discriminate against.

Last edited by Answer; 09-22-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Answer is offline   Reply With Quote