View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
dull boy
consults Lloyd

Battle Record: 0-8

Champed
-1-2 Punch League Roast

dull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant future

Week 5

(2-2) Seth V (1-1) Hush

(Sharp s - Ajax h - Adverse h - User s )

Ajax -

Wow. 39 drops. That alone is awesome, regardless of how the battle itself turns out, quality-wise. Props to both for that. Hopefully, the greater participation will continue in the league moving forward.

Hush got the best of the opening back and forth. His wording was much more concise... and the sleeps in her own shit line was LOL funny.

Seth dropped some solid stuff too. The forklift rebuttal was really well done (and a hilarious image). Hush came back with the groundbreaking and seismic. Solid stuff.

There’s too much for me to recount every line, good or bad, but it became pretty clear early on in this that these two were really evenly matched. They both could care less about multi-syllabic/complex rhyming... it’s all about the joke. Personally, I think that’s a fault (you should focus on both), but it meant they were neck and neck the whole time. Very evenly matched. It was a straight humor battle.

Some highlights. Seth’s rebuttal about fitting Hush’s family in a picture was spot on. Hush’s angler fish rebuttal was comedy. Seth’s Pinocchio spin was almost corny, but it was creative as hell. Hush refusing to rhyme after Seth’s awful “dine her” wordplay.

I think they each dipped into the same well joke-wise a bit much (most of the battle ended up being fat jokes about each other’s wives), but that’s to be expected with so many back and forth posts. I didn’t hold it against them the way I would for a much shorter battle.

All in all, this was close as hell.. and comedy. I have to give props to both for coming with so many solid, funny concepts.. I laughed out loud several times during this. In terms of technical expertise, Blue v User was the best battle I’ve read so far... but, in terms of jokes and all around hilarity, this was as good as I’ve seen in here.

Ultimately, I think this was essentially a toss up... I laughed a couple times more often on Hush drops than Seth’s, so that gives him the win. But, I think Seth would have beaten many of the other battlers this week with that string of verses. Good stuff.

Adverse -

Seth and Hush was a great battle through and through but as I went through each line and scored them individually I had Hush with 12 wins and Seth with 8, honestly wasn’t feeling much of Seth’s stuff until near the end, he came to life on the second page and Hush faltered a bit. BUT Hush started off the battle super strong and for everything Seth said he had a super comical rebuttal that made me roll. The fat wife vs jaw thing was hilarious and honestly as much as it was done it didn’t get old but I got Hush winning this one he just had a few more hits to me, Seth still did great though

V/Hush

Sharp -

Early lead for Seth. Had so quality personals. Hush's 'fat wife' angle wasn't great until it was. Bussin tables + loading plates was a deadly retort. Seth's reply was some damage control (wait room) but Hush was the clear leader to me after that. Seth evened it up with the family picture retort, damn. The scales - angler fish exchange solidified the solid tie into page two. Pretty even until Seth's losing to Frac bar put him way ahead for me, and while Hush's depression angle was dope it wasn't too direct a retort after a mind-numbing series of 'ur wife' bars. I'd say both were consistent enough through the end to have Seth edging it. Despite cowriting a novel these guys were really consistent. This one's probably coming down to to who you thought had better highlights and looking back over it, it was by one for me.

V/Seth

User -

When you go this many lines and the goal is to respond quickly to continue the back and forth, you get a lot of meh lines... this battle had a looooot of them.

Wasnt a fan of much of the animal jokes at the beginning, seths opener was fine, and pretty funny tie in to hushs bunny picture, but then we can basically skip all the way down to Hush’s bussin’ tables and gains lines. Seth had the cigarettes line I enjoyed, back to Hush who had the porch line.

Now we’re gonna time jump again and go on down to the Narnia line from Seth, which is probably my favorite of the battle so far. And at this point I’m pretty much saying no to every scale line Hush uses. So, onwards we travel.

Thanos with a cheap weave is flat out hilarious just from an imagery standpoint. Thank you Seth. Duke Nukem Gluten was a heater from Hush as well. Pigcop overdosing on menthols and Cardi b, Jesus Christ this exchange is hilarious.

Time skip again, on down to hush’s diner wp rebuttal which was funny just because nobody’s done that here yet. Lmaooo

Time skip again, crying for weeks was dope by hush. And that was the last one I enjoyed.

All in all, a match with some very good lines but also one loaded with painfully bad ones, played ones, and boring ones. I’m giving Seth the slight edge for the hilarious level of imagery in some of his rebuttals and having less misses for me in general.

V - Seth

(2-2) Des V (1-2) Adverse

(Sharp d - Ajax a - Hush a )

Ajax -

14 drops, very cool to see the interest. That said, I think both guys came below what I’ve seen from them so far in the league, so this was a little disappointing.

Des’ opening 4 were really bad, and didn’t set the tone for the battle well. His opening couplet was worded really poorly (the second line had 28 syllables).. then he used the “ad miss ability” wordplay, which might have been the worst wordplay of the league thus far.

Adverse had a real chance to come out swinging and set the tone, but instead he went straight for what’s become the standard Des punch about his wife’s miscarriage (which, frankly, was never a really good angle to begin with).

Things didn’t get much better after that, from either. There were some decent concepts, but way too many low points... Des used awful wordplay a couple times (sim pull?), and had several points where his wording was really off. On the flip side, Adverse didn’t really capitalize as much as he could have...

That said, the end of the battle was better than the beginning... and I think Adverse introduced a couple solid rebuttals. Not ground breaking concepts, but well worded and concise. The running laps around you and time lapse at your age rebuttals were probably the lines of the battle. Des’ high point was definitely the primitive point of view flip, which was really well done. It’s unfortunate he didn’t match that level of wit and wording throughout.

I got Adverse taking this, in a fairly close, but overall pretty disappointing match. I’m sure both will come better moving forward, because they each have more talent than they showed here.

Sharp -

Des is becoming a master of responding to miscarriage bars. Adverse, commendably, brought some fresh approaches to the miscarriage angle, but it's happening so often that I'm really missing the 'des is old' bars. And when those came out, Des had counters for them too. Credit to Adverse, he's writing solid stuff but I think Des has a lethal combination of being great on his feet (those FN wins are earned) and being sick of the same angles. Felt like Des just had an answer to everything Ad dropped. Battle was a great read though. Fav exchange had to be the 'concerning number' bit since it highlighted why both did well.

V/Des

Also, Ad, it's 'per se'. Dull, please make sure he knows he fucked that up.

Hush -

Des and adverse I gotta read but I had adverse taking it

(4-0) Blue V (3-0) User

(Sharp u - Ajax u - Seth u )

Ajax -

Another battle where both guys were very engaged. Wit. Rebuttal level, response time, wording... all pretty much what I’d expect between these two. Blue is the resident NC favorite, and User has shown that he may be the best suited to this kind of battling (at least this far).

Blue’s old punch opener was solid.. but User flipped it perfectly.. and then Blue re-flipped it really well. Just a great back and forth. Blue’s GOT punch was the kind of esoteric wit that is a lot like my style, so I approve... but then User hit him well on the personal side with the “rewording” rebuttal.

That was pretty much the tone of the battle to me. Each guy came with solid, witty, and really well worded punches... with User doing a slightly better job flipping Blue’s concepts against him. User’s watch you drown line was classic. The back and forth on gender reveal was really well done from both. I really liked Blue’s fault lines/San Andreas punch..

Top to bottom, I thought it was a very solid battle. Probably the best I’ve seen so far in the league. That doesn’t mean they weren’t without low points (you almost never lose with a full boat in poker, User’s chin/Chinese joke from elementary school, etc). But, overall, this was a great read.

I actually think User pulled it off by a hair, in a slight upset. They were effectively equal on wording, rebuttal speed, and wit (all of which were really high quality).. but, User was slightly better at flipping what Blue wrote (and his couple self deprecating lines were really solid). Blue also started focusing a little too much on User’s weight at the end.. This probably could go either way, and if the other judges vote for Blue, I could see it. But, for me, I think User barely got it.

After breaking down this battle, it’s easy to see that the best bars this week are in this battle. Both were very consistent, I feel that blue had a few really good bars, while tony stayed more neutral with less highs. I got Blue here by a few bars. It was really close and User was actually winning for a minute but Blue had a few bangers in a row and it was too much for User. Very good battle from these guys but Blue wins by 3 bars. Vote- Blue

Seth -

I got user in a tied bout with him having lotb with gender reveal

Sharp -

Blue's opening was an early highlight but the rebuttals weren't great to begin with. Blue called User's angles old while dropping a Hardhome bar when I remember Orc doing that concept way better. User capitalizing on it put him out ahead, and while not strictly a rebuttal, 'gender reveal' was pretty good. User's gotten great at rebutting 'fat' lines. The same boat line was bonkers but following it up with a Chins line was a huge miss. Things more or less evened out after that but User's early lead held on. Both had some bangers, but Blue's best bars to me (aside from draw on your face) weren't - corleone mile time, old bars. I give User the slightest edge for rebutting better

v/ user

(3-1) Dave V (2-1) Frac

(Sharp d - Ajax d - Adverse d - Hush d )

Sharp -

imo Dave took a solid lead and never let go. He had a good response for damn near every solid punch from frac. It was a clinic on how to dominate in this league. Brought in personal angles to anything frac said.

v/dave

Hush -

Dave won
That was close

Ajax -

Another really solid, close battle. This is up there with Blue and User. Witty stuff all around and solid wording by each. I thought each dropped consistently well, with a couple low points. Ultimately, I think it came down to who was better at flipping the other guy’s prior lines... and I think Dave barely edged out the win on that front. Good battle.

Adverse -

I got Dave taking it thought he was a tad more witty and overall just had harder bars. Frac has some cool stuff but just didn’t have the same impact to me

(1-3) Mac V (0-0) Aero

(Sharp a - Ajax dq - Adverse a )

Ajax -

I’m not even sure it’s worth a vote here. As far as I’m concerned, it’s a double DQ. They both lose.

Sharp -

basically a 4 line battle. Aero's 4 were better.

Adverse -

It’s a hard one to call for me because technically it’s a rebuttals league and the only one who got the chance to rebuttal was Mac? But Aero had the better two lines? So idk I guess I’ll roll with Aero unfortunately.

(0-1) Lars V (0-1) Spree/Bomb Bard

(Sharp s - Ajax s - Blue s )

Ajax -

Pretty disappointing battle, especially after reading Blue v. User. The level of wit and wording just wasn’t on par with the upper echelons in the league. Lars dropped much better last week vs. Hush. Each guy harped on one topic (fat wife vs. short guy) way too much, and without much originality/wit. I was bored throughout this battle, which is all that really needs to be said.

Ultimately, I think Spree barely pulled it out... his rebuttal to the “ain’t lying” punch was solid.. and he had less low points than Lars. He takes it.

Sharp -

I'm not a fan of fake personals and this battle was full of them. Spree's wife aint fat and Lars rode that point into the ground even after literal photographic proof. If lars had brought more shit like his very last 'busted burnout' bar at the close it would have been great but I can't condone fake personals. Spree edged it with doing just enough with real personals throughout. He had some highlights with head and shoulders, piggyback, and miscarriage that did just enough for me

v/ spree

Blue -

Lars head and shoulders bar was my fave line of the battle
Thought that was creative and clever... but sprees short punch rebuttal was funny too
Overall I liked sprees variety of personal attacks and hits more then Lars exhausting the not even accurate fat wife angle
It's be like hitting zuch with fat bars 10 times
Also love spree pulling out a nude wife pic mid battle to counter the bars Lars had so far.. thats imposing your will to win
Sprees wording wasn't disastrous this week...
DEespite some cool concepts from Lars sprinkled throughout, Spree edges it for me
Vote Spree

(1-0) Fraze V (1-0) Defiant

(Sharp d - Ajax d - User d )

Ajax -

Another mediocre battle. Flow and wording was solid on both sides, but wit and rebuttal skill was seriously lacking. It got to a point where I didn’t really want to finish reading, because I wasn’t impressed by either side.

Ultimately, if I had to pick a winner, I think Defiant barely took it. He had less huge misses than Fraze.... although neither impressed me. They’ll both need to step it up big time to compete moving forward.

Sharp -

Not exactly feeling either drop. Truthfully went on too long. Defiant had better flips but much blander misses. Fraze had every technical edge but was better at turning around ideas. The 'leaving with fewer brain cells' is exactly what I would hope to see from this league and there wasn't another punch up to part with that in battle. Could see this going either way but I thought def was better about actually flipping punches as opposed to flipping references

v/def

User -

I enjoy Frazes style but he really delivered some played whiffs here. Double you, brain sales, anchored down, threw the match, etc. list kinda goes on. His best rebuttal was the Mac one to me. Defiant kept it simple, but his rebuttals were better, and his material rarely made me cringe (second to last reply was a nay). Fraze killed himself with played material.

V - Defiant

Last edited by dull boy; 04-19-2021 at 11:29 AM.
dull boy is offline   Reply With Quote