Old 07-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #68
Answer
He / Him / His

Battle Record: 20-1

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Answer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
this is just a dumb fucking conversation
you can make arguments for GOAT sports players. because you have stats. it’s pretty easy to quantify who the GOAT is.
this is music which is entirely subjective. there’s no “stats” to look at short
of album sales and if that’s the criteria, then eminem wins.
there is no criteria though as to who’s art is better than another aside from one’s own subjective opinion. so, there can be no right or wrong answer and therefore back to my original “this conversation is fucking dumb” assertion.
Disagree. We’re not talking about music, we’re talking about lyricism. As universe stated, it’s purely about the writing and not about song-making. Album sales are irrelevant

What are the aspects of writing?

Multisyllabic writing - number of syllables being used, it is more difficult to create rhymes with longer multis. Of course, it is. Because there are more sentences/words in the English language that end with with the rhyme, “dope” than there are sentences/phrases that end with the rhyme “sky is falling”

And because there are less sentences to choose from, it’s more difficult. There was an author who wrote an entire book without the letter “e” (the most common letter in the English language). This was obviously very difficult to do because it greatly limits the number of words you can use and sentences you can make.

If you don’t believe me, just try to write a 200 word short story or topical without using the letter “e”. Only by actually trying this can you empathize with my point. It’s not that I don’t think you CAN do it, you’re simply vastly underestimating the difficulty of it, which is easy to do for people who don’t challenge themselves. It’s easy for me to think I can run 15 km but it’s another thing to actually go out and do it.

When you loosen your restrictions, as eminem does when he breaks from using 4 syllables to use 3 syllables or 5 syllables, you’re increasing the number of words and phrases you can use. That’s like writing a book with no “e’s” and saying “eh maybe I’ll have SOME words that have the letter e”

And he does this even more-so when he allows himself to use words that don’t even rhyme altogether like him rhyming “fair” with “beds”

Punchlines/double entendres - it’s one thing to write a punchline, but it’s another thing to reverse-engineer a punchline from a rhyme. Not only are you coming up with a punchline, but you’re also constrained by the limitation of not being able to write words with the letter “e”

Do you disagree that writing 45 punchlines with that constraint is more difficult than writing 5 with that constraint? I don’t see how you believe that to be the case.

I’m really disappointed in you, des. You’re one of the few who I thought was smarter than this.

Last edited by Answer; 07-14-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Answer is offline   Reply With Quote