View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #27
Ullr
Norse God

Battle Record: 5-6

Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr

I was just keystyling for the sake of the example, I wasn't trying to make it meaningful, it was basically braggadocio because the actual words and content were not the focal point nor should they be regarded as such, I'd have done it in just vowel sounds like ah eh oh ooh ih ee ah ooh ah if that didn't look ridiculous, the whole purpose was just showing how you can modulate flow using phrasing and multi spacing

Grammar and punctuation is important though haha, if we're trying to make our writing more than just battles and leagues and really be able to call a topical its own form and stand as essentially the pioneers of a new form on the same level as a sonnet or a haiku the attention to detail is going to be what does it ultimately, we need to be able to do both dope lines and make it presentable to an arbitrarily large audience, we all want our work to be seen on the largest stage we can manage, you can't do that if half the people are turned off by the very first line with typos and shit

Okay so I just had lunch allow me to elaborate on some of the things I was thinking about

first, yes you're 100% right my example wasn't meaningful and that makes it a bad example of what a topical is, I focused entirely on mechanics as you pointed out and that is something I will work to address and improve in myself because we as writers must do more than put words together in a beautiful flowing manner but must also make those words compelling and gripping and really invest the reader in them deeply and emotionally, if not they are hollow parlor tricks and cheap, I 100% agree with you on that and I am going to dig deep to improve upon that.

That said, pertaining to my last post about being ruthless removing unnecessary words:

A quote from the 1858 "Methodist Quarterly Review" on the subject:

"It is the sculptor’s power, so often alluded to, of finding the perfect form and features of a goddess, in the shapeless block of marble; and his ability to chip off all extraneous matter, and let the divine excellence stand forth for itself."

We, as writers, are much like Michaelangelo's David as it was carved, we must carve away all the excess marble that is not "David" - the only difference is, we invest ourselves in our writing, so really, we are the marble and we must carve pieces out of ourselves to craft something greater. That means painful reworks, lines we love for our own reasons being sacrificed for the piece's sake. We only have a limited amount of words in each topical, if not every one of those words directly adds to the overall idea and intent of the piece it must be removed to make room for ones that do.

Also, in my original post I was offering up to anyone else to make examples/explanations of the idea of flow because I was just going to spitball some haha, I know a brilliant writer such as yourself would certainly be able :)