View Single Post
Old 05-01-2023, 07:04 PM   #31
House of Leaves
Banned

House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves House of Leaves
Default Anti-Asian hate 'runs the gamut,' racist Yelp reviews show

Posted 12w ago
A century ago: were any world leaders labeled "racist" for using the term Spanish Flu?

Perhaps it just referred to the country of origin?

Posted 12w ago
"In total, Yelp said, it removed 26,500 business reviews last year that violated its rules about hate speech, threats or lewdness, an overall increase of 1,300 over the year before."

If my math is correct that's a 5% increase. Sure, that's bad news, but statistically not hugely significant.

"“I will not have my dog eat in this place because they might cook him,” read the Yelp review of Wong's eatery, the Curry Up Cafe in suburban Los Angeles. “The owner works for the Chinese government.”"

Would any mature adult looking to dine out on Asian cuisine take this review literally? The most common, corny/ negative stereotype of eating dogs&cats? And that he works for the Chinese gov't?

Not saying it shouldn't have been removed, but I think the writer and the owner are VASTLY overstating the customer loss from this review.

Then-President Donald Trump added to the controversy, referring to the coronavirus as “kung flu” and “the Chinese flu"...

Really? I understand that's unprofessional for a President, but did the virus not originate in China? Chinese flu phrase doesn't seem harmful or racist at all. "kung flu"? A little wordplay which the author essenitally claims caused a drop of 18% in customer totals vs. non-Asian restaurants in 2020? Doubt it. @kungfugrip

I have nothing against Asians, and I am NOT doubting the stats regarding the increase in Asian hate comments...I'm simply making the point that I think this is certainly an over-reaction to Yelp and Trump effects.
House of Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote