View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #52
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eŋg View Post
recommend me some. or three albums to begin with? or something. my tastes are eclectic but i hit walls with artists who have extensive catalogues. it's stifling. i have an unbelievable amount of frank zappa material which i just refuse to dive into.
Well, you have to start with the early stuff with Neil Young because it's his best, most consistent work and because it's the early stuff.

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969) is my favorite of his albums. After the Gold Rush (1970) is his most critically revered (though he has at least four albums vying for that title). And Harvest (1972) is his most popular. Those are his second, third and fourth solo albums. (His self-titled solo debut was uneven.)

When you get through those, On the Beach (1974), Tonight's the Night (1975) and Rust Never Sleeps (1979) are strong representations of his middle period. On the Beach is viewed on the same level as the first three I named, though I think it's a step behind. There's a few more in the late 1980s and early 1990s that I'm not very familiar with that draw plentiful praise.

But I am more familiar with the stuff from the past decade or so, and I really like Prairie Wind (2005) and Le Noise (2010).