View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

Whoooooo.

Let's dissect some things.

Before I start let me just say that this concept is very much cliched. So to make it interesting for a reader you have to give it a twist, make it personal and emotionally resonant, or just overload on technical ability to the point that it becomes good. None of those occurred in this piece and I'm left with an empty stomach, looking for something more substantive to digest this afternoon.

"I'm a kid that's been abandoned by his only family
I been passed from home to home like i was candy"

The opening line is too on the nose for me. Your entire piece is going to be about a kid that's been abandoned by his family. Why are stating that in plain fact as your opening line. Also, 'only family' is a bit weird in terms of wording. Most people only have one family. To say only is redundant. Family/candy is a weak rhyme. Not saying it needed to be a multi. It doesn't. But the rhyme itself is weak. Also, is candy passed from home to home? Thus, the rhyme is also forced and the second line doesn't make sense. Also, it should be 'I've'.

"A soul that's broke and soaked in loathe & sadness
A heart that knows no love and no I can't imagine"

Should be 'loathing'. I find the use of 'soul' very cliched and difficult to use in creative writing on this site. The idea of a 'broken soul' is so overused that it should only be employed by a deft hand, which I don't think you have yet. Heart knowing no love is in the same boat. Rhyme was weak.

"The place that harbors such hard earned passion
Accustomed to the company of misery and tragedy"

First line was the best so far. Wasn't some line that blew me away, but it was solid and I had no issues with the wording or idea. The second line here falls into the same problem as 'broken soul' and 'loveless heart'. You're using platitudes without irony, thinking that you're being deep. People who read this are just rolling their eyes. You need to craft original thoughts. The use of 'the company of misery and tragedy' can be done well but it needs some subtlety, some personality. Here it's just a rudimentary tool hammering away at an already driven in nail.

"I've obtained a wrath in me that has reached capacity
It has to be released cuz I can see that I am gradually
Losing steam and having these lucid dreams of abuse"

Obtained is not the correct word to use. It has a positive connotation. The first line is akin to saying "I have obtained AIDS". Achievement unlocked. Reach capacity was decent. Wasn't a fan of the use 'cuz' for aesthetic reasons. Lucid dreams of abuse was the best line of the piece. That was pretty good, actually. Touches on the mentally hamstrung nature of the character you're trying to develop; even with freedom he can't escape this cycle and his inherently broken nature. Nice.

"And screams that ensued in between three and four
Causing me to continually relive the grief and gore"

Gore felt like a forced rhyme. You hadn't previously mentioned anything about violence in a concrete sense, and any contextual clues towards it has to be found with the biggest of magnifying glasses. Screams that ensued between three and four, in conjunction with the lucid dream idea, was good. Second line was not good.

"I begin spewing streaming springs down my cheeks
Emotionally weak from the constant need to re explore
A wound that keeps on bleeding more every tour I take
I'm sore, I ache, I absorb my long awaited escape
As I pour myself a drink and swallow my eternal fate"

Didn't like the use of 'spewing'. Didn't like the use of 'tour'. The last two lines were decent and closed the piece on a relatively high note, emphasis on relatively. Those bars were better than the majority of this piece but in a vacuum they're nothing new or exciting. I did like the 'I'm sore, I ache, I absorb' part of the second to last line. A small dash of creativity in an otherwise very mundane and sterile piece.

Keep writing.
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote