Thread: Kanye West
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #38
Malachi
Negus

Battle Record: 5-10

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Malachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Malachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
It is about him trying to break in to a different industry but he sees it as similar to when he tried to break into music, which he was ultimately successful at.

He gets overexcited and doesn't communicate well but there are bits and pieces of what he talks about. And it also helps to know a bit about rap history. When he's talking about A&R producers during his early rap career, that's real. He was stuck as a producer for awhile. He was largely the mastermind behind The Blueprint by Jay-Z, he contributed a ton of beats to a ton of artists. But when he told people he wanted to rap, they told him he couldn't. He couldn't get a deal. And it was largely because he was not like other rappers at the time, who tended to be more "gangster" and didn't rap about the things Kanye rapped about.

It sounds egotistical when he says it, but he really was a game-changer when he finally got his shot. The guy is a musical genius. And My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was pretty much universally considered a masterpiece not just by rap critics but by MUSIC critics.

So since then he's basically been trying to break into the fashion world. It's something he's legitimately always been interested in. But he's facing the same roadblocks. Nike won't release the shoe he designed. One of the tracks on Yeezus, "I Am A God," he wrote after an influential fashion designer came up to him during fashion week in Paris. He said he would give Kanye a ticket to the major runway event if Kanye promised to never attend a fashion show again.

Kanye's attitude toward all of this has been basically "fuck you and fuck everybody." He basically believes that because he has money and what he calls his "genius" he can do anything. In his head, he is so close to being the world's next major fashion designer, but he needs the major labels and companies to work with him. Much like a young rapper needs a major label to put out a CD because without that you're basically a laughingstock. And of course with Kanye there's a racial component to it to because just about all the major fashion labels are run by white Europeans. So for him it's like, he has all this money and all this success, and he still feels like a slave.

Now, the average person just isn't going to connect with that, which is what Kanye just doesn't get. The average person, who is probably struggling with money, would say "just be happy with what you've got." The average person does not like people comparing themselves to gods. The average person does not like people comparing themselves to slaves. It's extremism at both sides.

It's interesting, I'm a fan of Kanye even though he says extremely ridiculous and arrogant things all the time. I remember in one interview with his mom she said that in kindergarten, the teacher said "he's not lacking for self-confidence, is he?" He was basically born like that. And it's probably grown exponentially now that he's had success. But at the same time it's hard to put yourself in his shoes. Basically he had a lot of people tell him he couldn't do something, and he proved them all wrong 1000x over. Now he has a lot of people again telling him he can't do something. And he thinks he deserves a shot to prove them wrong again. But he's really shitty at explaining all of this, and my guess would be probably has Aspberger's or a similar condition on top of everything else. It's understandable not to like his cockiness, but I think there is something admirable about not caring about what people think and trying to do something you believe in.
bravo