View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Objective: I'm not sure what we're supposed to do about a verse like yours, based around a photo and basically functionless without that photo. I wish you had at least included a line about the photo in your verse because right now that photo is the turning point in your verse, and it's also the best part of the verse. But we haven't been told anything about not using photos, so I am not going to hold that against you. With that said, I thought you had a few fun lines and wrote the character and tried to explain his motivations. More directness and finer detail would have paid off, for instance, describing a less generic situation in which a woman had pissed your narrator off. Your wording was a bit clumsy at times, and it made your verse flow awkwardly, particularly because your rhyme scheme was generic.

Boredom: Your verse felt like a total 180 in terms of writing while taking a less interesting but similar approach to the content. Your flow was usually smooth, but at times you forced rhymes. Your story wasn't much of one, mostly just riffing on being against feminists. There was a little seemingly unknowing meta-commentary on the netcee community that you didn't really go anywhere with, but that could have been cool. If your narrator really did kill Sadie Plant, it wasn't obvious. And that could have been a nice way to approach this story. I think both writers relied way too much on character description and way too little on telling stories and having those characters do things. Still, this was a close battle.

Vote: Objective.