Netcees

Netcees (http://netcees.org/index.php)
-   Discussion Board (http://netcees.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Are babies born with accents or do they acquire them environmentally? (http://netcees.org/showthread.php?t=145419)

Smod of War 11-03-2020 09:43 AM

Are babies born with accents or do they acquire them environmentally?

Been wondering this for quite some time tbh

Doesn’t make sense, how can a baby be born with a British accent? What if you took a baby from Britain and brought him to America. Would he still have that British accent? I don’t see why he/him or she/her would

Amen 11-03-2020 09:54 AM

No one is born with a language or accent, you idiot. They learn and develop it during the developmental stages based off the people they are surrounded by during their up bringing.

Destroyer 11-03-2020 09:57 AM

Would you consider a cleft palate an “accent?”

Smod of War 11-03-2020 09:59 AM

No but I’d consider no heartbeat a mute

Destroyer 11-03-2020 09:59 AM

That’s actually funny

Orc 11-03-2020 10:00 AM

There won’t be another post in this thread. On my life

Smod of War 11-03-2020 10:02 AM

Pfft, as if

Sharp 11-03-2020 12:53 PM

Amazes me how zelph, known troll, gets amen to respond in earnest so often

Objective 11-03-2020 01:51 PM

I know nothing about this but got a theory because my Norwegian "L's" got an accent that is familiar to a municipality a a few cities away. We've never known people from that area when I was a kid, no one in the daycare or school had this either.

I think environment and exposure is what settles it. Some wake up from comas with a completely new accent, like British if they're from the US. I think it has something to do with where language is stored in our memories. My Ls (no pun intended) stems from what feels natural to vocally say, accents and language origins from something and sometimes that can be neurologically natural to do in terms of verbal communication.

#PseudoScience

Finnydot 11-03-2020 02:21 PM

Nature vs nurture ITT.

Blue Bayou 11-03-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp (Post 791282)
Amazes me how zelph, known troll, gets amen to respond in earnest so often

Amen stoooopid

El Muffin 11-03-2020 03:12 PM

I wish I could wake up with a british accent

Ima pull all the hoes . Feeling like I’m idris Elba xD

uh-oh 11-03-2020 05:47 PM

died at the edit for pronouns

Inno 11-03-2020 08:34 PM

THREAD TAKE OVER!!!!

IF YOU SPEAK MORE THAN ONE LANGUAGE WHICH ONE DO YOU THINK IN?

Pharaohs Army 11-03-2020 11:38 PM

Mod of War is zelph?

Stupidest question ever ITT.

Answer 11-04-2020 07:37 AM

Really unfortunate that in 2020 zelph failed to include they/them inclusive gender pronouns. Eddie would be disappointed

Finnydot 11-04-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inno (Post 791327)
THREAD TAKE OVER!!!!

They say it's whatever you've been using most recently. I've actually had this happen to me. My ex only spoke spanish. I would have whole arguments in Spanish. Then when she wasn't around id be thinking in Spanish. It's really weird.

Hush 11-04-2020 10:14 AM

No

No

Stop lying finny

Hahahhaha hahahha

My family basically only speak Spanish and I’ve never once thought in Spanish

Ajax 11-04-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mod of War (Post 791255)
Been wondering this for quite some time tbh

Doesn’t make sense, how can a baby be born with a British accent? What if you took a baby from Britain and brought him to America. Would he still have that British accent? I don’t see why he/him or she/her would

Is this a serious question? Wow.

Objective 11-04-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inno (Post 791327)
THREAD TAKE OVER!!!!

Depends on context for me. Since I write a lot in English there's certain words that just don't exist in Norwegian and vice versa. Common phrases etc. appear every once in a while as well, if someone fucks up at a party I can think "Well, sucks to be you right now".

When I visited the US for a month I found myself to be thinking in English regarding stuff we were talking about/doing. I can also envision other people in my life give advice the way I think they would have responded to questions about life.

When I was dating my Swedish ex, whenever I was a bit turned on by her through text or whatever I would think phrases/sentences/words she'd say in Swedish, and how she'd say it.

When I met my German cousin there were instances where he would exclaim "Scheisse!" One of which was in terms of our prices. When things are ridiculously priced or something along those lanes I can hear him yell that, or think it for myself in his language.