Netcees

Netcees (http://netcees.org/index.php)
-   Discussion Board (http://netcees.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   finishing a bad book. thanks ayn rand (http://netcees.org/showthread.php?t=7169)

Fig 06-04-2013 09:37 PM

finishing a bad book. thanks ayn rand

Fountainhead.

Tbh it wasnt horrible. Well written and the storyline was engaging enough, it was just the philosophy presented. Objectivism. Not even once.

I have atlas shrugged sitting next to me now. Has anyone read either of these books? Someone has to have.

Sharp 06-04-2013 09:43 PM

I found both meh, couldn't get thru either as far as ideals and just actual writing tbh. Only a lil of each. Ive read faulkner and joyce but found her shit too hard to get thru. Only person I know with an English degree who isn't retarded thinks she's a terrible writer

Spoken 06-04-2013 09:47 PM

^^^ NICE PERCEPTION

And those books are great.. The complexity in the adversaries is what drives some away at times.

Objective 06-04-2013 09:50 PM

Now, forget about that shit and pick up something by Haruki Murakami. Kafka on the Shore if you haven't read it.

NYCSPITZ 06-04-2013 09:51 PM

dunno bout that one but atlas shrugged was pure garbage can't believe I read that

Fig 06-04-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp Nine (Post 69288)
I found both meh, couldn't get thru either as far as ideals and just actual writing tbh. Only a lil of each. Ive read faulkner and joyce but found her shit too hard to get thru. Only person I know with an English degree who isn't retarded thinks she's a terrible writer

I think most good writers are that way

What bugged me the most concerning her philosophy was the focus on an individual success despite true happiness being a feeling of acceptance. Its like opting for constant ego stroking alone in your room instead of associating with others and sharing the love na' mean?

As i said though, the writing itself was pretty good. Very nice characterization... you havr yo get past the first 200 pages though, but after that its good

Sharp 06-04-2013 09:56 PM

Tbh 90% of the people I know who like her shit are like 15-35 who identify with the 'suppressed genius' bullshit without realizing by rands standards they'd be parasites lol

I stopped reading at the justified rape and terrorism in either one btw

Maybe she becomes an okay writer after those parts

Spoken 06-04-2013 09:56 PM

Murakami nice call @Objective

Sharp 06-04-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Objective (Post 69305)
Now, forget about that shit and pick up something by Haruki Murakami. Kafka on the Shore if you haven't read it.

Yo kafkas short stories are dope reads

Fig 06-04-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Objective (Post 69305)

If i can download it right now, ill read it forsure.

Objective 06-04-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figurative (Post 69332)
If i can download it right now, ill read it forsure.

I got the physical copy of it. You wont regret reading that book.

Sharp 06-04-2013 10:08 PM

Fuck lol thought you said Kafka

Wanted to share my experience reading that shit at 14

I'm gonna go back to being too pissed at this phillies game to board properly

Fig 06-04-2013 10:20 PM

Alright @Objective I got it. I will use this to distract myself from reading pride and prejudice

PancakeBrah 06-04-2013 10:22 PM

books are for little prissy queers and lanky nerds

Fig 06-04-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serious (Post 69296)
^^^ NICE PERCEPTION

And those books are great.. The complexity in the adversaries is what drives some away at times.

See I enjoyed characters like Toohey. As I said, the elements of the writing itself were great, the ideology it presented wasn't... at least not for me

Fig 06-04-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakecakecake (Post 69367)
books are for little prissy queers and lanky nerds

True...

Sharp 06-04-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serious (Post 69296)
^^^ NICE PERCEPTION

It's hard to remember but I'm pretty sure what drove me away was sentence structure. Repetitive as fuck if I recall. Was almost like the same sentence was coming up over and over again. Story was aite, not enough to keep me going though

Rawn M.D. 06-04-2013 10:45 PM

I typically stick to classics, pallahnuik or Atwood.. I'm rarely dissatisfied.... I do venture out but only by recommendations from ppl I respect on topics I enjoy

some kafka is Iight. I prefer sarte tbh.. I like the outlook more.

Fig 06-04-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawn MacDon (Post 69396)
I typically stick to classics, pallahnuik or Atwood.. I'm rarely dissatisfied.... I do venture out but only by recommendations from ppl I respect on topics I enjoy

some kafka is Iight. I prefer sarte tbh.. I like the outlook more.

Recommendation?

Rawn M.D. 06-04-2013 11:01 PM

Pallahnuik - survivor
attwood - oryx n crake