Netcees

Netcees (http://netcees.org/index.php)
-   Discussion Board (http://netcees.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thought experiment help? (http://netcees.org/showthread.php?t=139126)

Elemental P 12-02-2018 06:59 PM

Thought experiment help?

So this is something new I'm trying, just for my curiosity and due to my interest in psychoanalysis and I've always been more in to philosophy than religion. I did my first one yesterday on FB and I used the meme where it asks: Would you stomp on the puppy for 18 BILLION DOLLARS.

But I changed it up to be more morally thought provoking. So I asked, for every 1$ let's say the saves an animals life. So that's 18 Billion animals you could save, endangered species could be saved from going extinct ect. So, would you kill the puppy in order to help the 18 Billion animals?

Well here's the results.

NO: 11 total. 6 females and 5 males (didn't cover demographics or any of that just men/women.

YES:4 Total. 3 females and 1 Male.

I had spent a lot of time drawing a conclusion from this and it's supposed to make you question your morals. Does the end justify the means?
How about any of you guys, what would you answer? And you have think about it carefully.

(So I want to continue this trend for my own intellectual reasons and curiosity and would like some help with more Thought Experiment ideas. Yes I checked Google and read some to give me some more ideas but I want to hear more original ideas. Anyone care to help or at least answer the question I posted?) I'll post my short summary conclusion (kept it short due to not enough participants and kept it vague for a reason.)

uh-oh 12-02-2018 07:01 PM

i would eat a puppy while its alive with my hands and teeth for 18 billion dollars is this a serious question?

Elemental P 12-02-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uh-oh (Post 717635)
i would eat a puppy while its alive for 18 billion dollars is this a serious question?

Yes it is. And yes I had plenty of trolls say yes (I troll myself as well) but was asking for legitimate yes or no.

Elemental P 12-02-2018 07:04 PM

But as I said I changed it from it being about the 18 Billion dollars to each dollar would go to save an animals life. If you want to keep it like the original question and just keep the money idc do as u please.

uh-oh 12-02-2018 07:06 PM

im not trolling in the least bit. i would stomp a puppy for 18 billion dollars, and thats not even a difficult question, and im someone who loves dogs. im one of those weirdos that would rather see a human hurt than a dog.

i wouldn't stomp a puppy to give 18 billion dollars to puppy welfare though, like if it just miraculously helped puppies if i stomped one to death.

but yea your experiment is flawed because its facebook where people don't want to look like terrible people to people who know them.

Sharp 12-02-2018 07:19 PM

So you've rewritten the trolley lever thought experiment?

bleak 12-02-2018 07:21 PM

Agreed I like dogs but would massacre a litter of newborn puppies for that kind of cash

dull boy 12-02-2018 07:21 PM

Is this a serious thread?

dull boy 12-02-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp (Post 717640)
So you've rewritten the trolley lever thought experiment?

Someone watches The Good Place.

DMS 12-02-2018 08:11 PM

I feel my former thread about punching blind children n shit was a bit better then this ngl, and that was just a meme.

I’d fucking clobber that puppy, no joke. Animals besides us are under our control for a reason. We’re top dogs on this earth, unlike all those other pussies, including the actual pussies.

But if the destruction of those animals, all 18 million, effect the environment in ways that negatively effect humans in the future, I’d have to rethink.

dull boy 12-02-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMS (Post 717646)
Animals besides us are under our control for a reason. We’re top dogs on this earth

This is how rich people feel about poor people.

DMS 12-02-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dull boy (Post 717647)
This is how rich people feel about poor people.

Demonstrate this is objectively wrong

boof 12-02-2018 10:16 PM

if it's not objectively wrong then neither is the perspective of the rich people in his statement and that's part of the point so hopefully you get it now

boof 12-02-2018 10:16 PM

also this was a terrible social experiment

Sharp 12-02-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dull boy (Post 717643)
Someone watches The Good Place.

No lie my better half loves that show. I remember hearing about it in high school though. It didn't come from that though, right?

dull boy 12-02-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp (Post 717671)
No lie my better half loves that show. I remember hearing about it in high school though. It didn't come from that though, right?

It’s a quality show.

But yea, pretty classic ethical thought experiment.

Sharp 12-02-2018 10:56 PM

Agreed. We haven't seen the new season yet but I'm worried it might get too convoluted for me to want to follow

DMS 12-02-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boof (Post 717667)
if it's not objectively wrong then neither is the perspective of the rich people in his statement and that's part of the point so hopefully you get it now

What?

Elemental P 12-03-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boof (Post 717669)
also this was a terrible social experiment

I disagree. Why is it terrible? From what I seen you all have to reevaluate your moral compass cause if you believe a life is worth less than money which is a physical substance mankinf made then you are severely lacking in the compassion and empathetic department and should probably seek help.

Elemental P 12-03-2018 12:14 AM

And yea I chose the money as well but I would have to use at least Some of it for a good cause. Like create no profit organization for rescuing animals and for people in need. But I guess I'm just weird. Or actually have a soul, can't tell with the lot of fucked up individuals in here.