Netcees

Netcees (http://netcees.org/index.php)
-   Discussion Board (http://netcees.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Moral Dilemmas as a writer (http://netcees.org/showthread.php?t=65942)

Answer 04-15-2014 08:06 PM

Moral Dilemmas as a writer

I've got a battle coming up Saturday, and I wrote my verse a couple weeks ago. I happened to be looking at live battles online and I saw someone use the exact same concept that I had already written and planned to use in my upcoming match, I figured whatever...it sucks, but my concept is actually a personal that's relevant to my opponent, it's slightly different and worded better, it's only the wordplay that's the same

but then it happened again. I watched a different battle and once again, one of the concepts I already wrote and planned to use was used in a match.

If it's in a text battle, it's whatever. I can just scrap the damn line and come up with a new one...but I've taken my time to memorize everything as it is, and I actually have schemes revolving around these lines. The set-up lines aren't just filler like they would be in text, they actually have punches in them that rhyme with my closing bars, so I reaaallllyyy don't want to redo my verses.

but on the other hand, i don't like knowing that my shit has been used before and that I could potentially be called a biter for it. The worst part is that if I had never watched those battles, I would've never known. ANY line of mine that I've ever written could've been used by someone at some point. And I know people say 'there's no such thing as a concept that hasn't been done' but where do you draw the line?

I know @Baron Mynd battles a lot - 2 cents?

Eŋg 04-15-2014 08:10 PM

@detour

Ghost1 04-15-2014 08:16 PM

Lol. Fuck that.

Spit that shit. I wouldn't even hesitate tbh. I mean u said u wrote it....so who cares?

Destroyer 04-15-2014 08:21 PM

all this shit has been done before, and better
just spit it how you wrote it

dull boy 04-15-2014 09:17 PM

What were lines you wrote and lines you saw after?

detour's bike 04-15-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eŋg (Post 320725)

*beep beep*

Wise Wiggles 04-15-2014 09:51 PM

try to bite as much as possible without ppl noticing

right peej?

Answer 04-15-2014 09:56 PM

jgvhjbb

anime_boners 04-15-2014 11:06 PM

tbh "top" talents in battling use lines that are awfully close to each others shit

I dont think anyone is going to care

Certain 04-16-2014 12:24 AM

If you have more punches in your live battle verse than your text verses, you're doing one of them wrong.

Witty 04-16-2014 04:29 AM

Write better.

Baron Mynd 04-16-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Answer (Post 320720)
I've got a battle coming up Saturday, and I wrote my verse a couple weeks ago. I happened to be looking at live battles online and I saw someone use the exact same concept that I had already written and planned to use in my upcoming match, I figured whatever...it sucks, but my concept is actually a personal that's relevant to my opponent, it's slightly different and worded better, it's only the wordplay that's the same

but then it happened again. I watched a different battle and once again, one of the concepts I already wrote and planned to use was used in a match.

If it's in a text battle, it's whatever. I can just scrap the damn line and come up with a new one...but I've taken my time to memorize everything as it is, and I actually have schemes revolving around these lines. The set-up lines aren't just filler like they would be in text, they actually have punches in them that rhyme with my closing bars, so I reaaallllyyy don't want to redo my verses.

but on the other hand, i don't like knowing that my shit has been used before and that I could potentially be called a biter for it. The worst part is that if I had never watched those battles, I would've never known. ANY line of mine that I've ever written could've been used by someone at some point. And I know people say 'there's no such thing as a concept that hasn't been done' but where do you draw the line?

It will invariably happen from time to time, if I've wrote it and come up with it of my own mind, I could care less that someone else may have something similar. It's too late to worry now, regardless, I'd keep what you have.

Answer 04-16-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Certain (Post 320808)
If you have more punches in your live battle verse than your text verses, you're doing one of them wrong.

Nobody uses a punch in every other line for live battles. 1 minute and 30 seconds is somewhere around 30 bars (text definition of bar, meaning 60 lines), depending on how fast you spit. You're writing 3 rounds of material, that's 90 bars a battle, 180 lines.

Compare that to a text battle where people complain if they have to do more than 6 or 7 bars.

Some people like Dizaster have an insane amount of filler in between every punch, but he also does longer rounds. Personally, I just have jokes in between my primary punches

but what I was really saying is that in text, people don't *usually* rhyme more than 2 lines together. You write your set-up, your punch, and then move onto the next punch and use a completely different rhyme. Whereas in audio and live battling, most people stay with the same rhyme scheme and use 2, 3, or more punches off the same multi.

anyway, I'm just gonna spit my verse the way it is. I'll have some extra lines prepared if needed, but it is what it is

Exis 04-16-2014 08:25 AM

Bite away nigga...

Neighbor 04-16-2014 12:20 PM

Stop watching battles

Certain 04-16-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Answer (Post 320892)
Nobody uses a punch in every other line for live battles. 1 minute and 30 seconds is somewhere around 30 bars (text definition of bar, meaning 60 lines), depending on how fast you spit. You're writing 3 rounds of material, that's 90 bars a battle, 180 lines.

Compare that to a text battle where people complain if they have to do more than 6 or 7 bars.

Some people like Dizaster have an insane amount of filler in between every punch, but he also does longer rounds. Personally, I just have jokes in between my primary punches

but what I was really saying is that in text, people don't *usually* rhyme more than 2 lines together. You write your set-up, your punch, and then move onto the next punch and use a completely different rhyme. Whereas in audio and live battling, most people stay with the same rhyme scheme and use 2, 3, or more punches off the same multi.

anyway, I'm just gonna spit my verse the way it is. I'll have some extra lines prepared if needed, but it is what it is

I can't decide if you have a reading comprehension problem or were agreeing with me in a round-about way intentionally.

Witty 04-16-2014 08:57 PM

Also, write better.

detour 05-03-2014 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Answer (Post 320720)

I'm probably the most well versed here in the live battle shit an I can tell u two things: first, if I write a bar an someone else has written a similar one then I don't really give a fuck cuz I know I wrote my shit, an while in text battles people are quick to call any similarities a bite, in real world battles people understand there isn't any new idea under the sun an it's inevitable that multiple people are gonna flip the same concept or wordplay, u just gotta be uniquely creative an do it ur own way; second, if it's happening that often, that u've noticed it like three times in a couple weeks, that tells me u probably aren't very original an creative as a writer an u need to step outside the box when it comes to conceptualizing ur bars...

just my two cents

detour 05-03-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Answer (Post 320892)

90 seconds is like 24 bars...

Bladed Thesis 05-03-2014 01:10 AM

Isn't Answer pureleedef or something and didn't he choke?