Netcees

Netcees (http://netcees.org/index.php)
-   Discussion Board (http://netcees.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Heroo's Journey (http://netcees.org/showthread.php?t=127608)

Chill Phil 04-07-2018 10:41 AM

The Heroo's Journey

So, this American mythological expert went around the world analyzing myths and legends and discovered these 12 elements that all enthralling stories have in common. It's dope but it ruined movies for me. Star wars, Lord of the rings, and all epic movies share this whole formula!

Check it out, and get your brain food today.

http://www.movieoutline.com/articles...-monomyth.html

Hush 04-07-2018 12:12 PM

Nah

Chill Phil 04-07-2018 12:29 PM

Thanks for commenting at least.

veritas 04-07-2018 12:48 PM

Forgive me for sounding like a hipster.

I am glad you are here. However late you are.

If you read my book you will see this element.

Where are you currently in the cycle Phil?

Hush 04-07-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas (Post 656309)

It is good but why did u double space it

veritas 04-07-2018 12:53 PM

Just to make it different. There are also no page numbers. Did you notice? There is a reason for that but I look forward to you attempting to figure out why.

Chill Phil 04-07-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas (Post 656309)

I'm at #1

veritas 04-07-2018 02:08 PM

For the first time?

Chill Phil 04-07-2018 02:15 PM

Nope. I've been at a normal setting for as long as I can remember.

BodySnatcher 04-07-2018 02:17 PM

It ruins a lot of books/movies but it helped with my writing.

veritas 04-07-2018 02:25 PM

Ha! So what now? What is next?

Chill Phil 04-07-2018 04:36 PM

Maybe have a kid within the next year or so.

The old lady and I finally agreed on both a girl's and a boy's name.

veritas 04-07-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chill Phil (Post 656344)
Maybe have a kid within the next year or so.

The old lady and I finally agreed on both a girl's and a boy's name.

You trolling?

Elemental P 04-07-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chill Phil (Post 656286)
So, this American mythological expert went around the world analyzing myths and legends and discovered these 12 elements that all enthralling stories have in common. It's dope but it ruined movies for me. Star wars, Lord of the rings, and all epic movies share this whole formula!

Just read this. It's just a form of writing like he said you need a beginning, mid, and end or your story is going to be trash. But was interesting to read the article and realize almost every movie and video game follows this formula. I don't see what you mean that it ruined the movies for you though, because they don't seem as "original" now?

Shit even religion follows this chart.

Chill Phil 04-07-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas (Post 656345)
You trolling?

I'm not sophisticated enough to troll. I also don't aspire to live that kind of internet lifestyle.

Chill Phil 04-07-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elemental P (Post 656348)
Just read this. It's just a form of writing like he said you need a beginning, mid, and end or your story is going to be trash. But was interesting to read the article and realize almost every movie and video game follows this formula. I don't see what you mean that it ruined the movies for you though, because they don't seem as "original" now?

Shit even religion follows this chart.

It ruins it because information takes away from the magic ignorance provides. Think about how exciting Christmas was before you found out Santa doesn't exist.

Discovering all these movies and stories have the same skeleton makes it more predictable and less magical.

veritas 04-07-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chill Phil (Post 656353)
I'm not sophisticated enough to troll. I also don't aspire to live that kind of internet lifestyle.

I get that you are in a weird mood.

I will rephrase it. Are you seriously planning to have children with this lady?

Elemental P 04-07-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chill Phil (Post 656354)
It ruins it because information takes away from the magic ignorance provides. Think about how exciting Christmas was before you found out Santa doesn't exist.

Discovering all these movies and stories have the same skeleton makes it more predictable and less magical.

But that's the thing...you need some form of structure, and clearly this works and will continue to do so. I get what u mean but that's not a great analogy to me comparing Xmas being fake to movies, books and games having some sort of cohesive format to create a plot.

Rude 04-07-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chill Phil (Post 656286)

Ah it's cool you brought this up, actually just got done reading some of his work from these books :

The Hero's Jourey
The Power of Myth
Creative Mythology
Myths to Live By
The Hero with a Thousand Faces

On one hand I can see the disappointment in finding out the 'movie magic' and original scripting is all based on 1 common structure. But on the other hand if you think about it, why do we even have movies and video games and books? Everything had to start from somewhere.

In any regard the books are a great read if you're going to do any writing (still entertaining if you don't) I was working on my story/series before I came across Joseph Campbell's work but after reading it I couldn't see any other way to subtitle my series but based off the term Monomyth. (each title after adapting a form of that basic idea)

Chill Phil 04-07-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas (Post 656365)
I get that you are in a weird mood.

I will rephrase it. Are you seriously planning to have children with this lady?

Yup!